Advice on Costume Shop Laundry Equipment?

  • Donna McKenna
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
      Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club has
      provided
      us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of washers
      and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are lacking
      from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer
      belt! Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers and
      dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking at
      the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available
      at Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable--
      sometimes just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody have
      experience with dryers that dry a load in the same time it takes a
      washer load to complete?

      We have two theatres--a 500-seat auditorium and a 210-seat black
      box. We do about 13 shows a year, usually about 12 performances per
      show, dark in the summer. We do washable laundry every 2
      performances, dry cleaning at the end of a run with "chemical
      freshening" as demanded.

      Donna McKenna
      Costume Shop Manager
      Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
      dmckenna@...
    • mrsskunk
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        I don't have a lot of advice on what kinds of washers you would want
        to buy but I can tell you that, based on my experience, DON'T buy
        the Duet. I had first-hand experience with a residential one (I
        think they are all the same) and when it broke, and it did quickly
        after purchase, it took lots of money and time to fix it.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Donna McKenna"
        <cos2mer2000@y...> wrote:
        > Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
        > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club
        has
        > provided
        > us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of
        washers
        > and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are
        lacking
        > from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer
        > belt! Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers
        and
        > dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking
        at
        > the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available
        > at Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable--
        > sometimes just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody
        have
        > experience with dryers that dry a load in the same time it takes a
        > washer load to complete?
        >
        > We have two theatres--a 500-seat auditorium and a 210-seat black
        > box. We do about 13 shows a year, usually about 12 performances
        per
        > show, dark in the summer. We do washable laundry every 2
        > performances, dry cleaning at the end of a run with "chemical
        > freshening" as demanded.
        >
        > Donna McKenna
        > Costume Shop Manager
        > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
        > dmckenna@k...
      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          We have the Neptune pair by Maytag (a little over 3 yrs old, but they were
          the previous year's model when we bought them - these have digital controls
          but not the fancy touch screen). Love them. Now I don't have to spend 5
          hours at the Laundromat to wash my king size quilted bedspread - the
          Neptune handles it just fine. Usually (except for really heavy things) the
          dryer is done before the washer finishes the next load. If you have just a
          few things, it adjusts the water level so the small load uses less than a
          big one - automatically. Also, the front-loaders are much easier on fabric
          - less stretching and abrasion - and you can set the speed also, from
          sturdy to hand-wash.

          HTH,
          Sandy

          At 04:00 PM 8/2/2004, you wrote:
          >Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
          >Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club has
          >provided
          >us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of washers
          >and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are lacking
          >from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer
          >belt! Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers and
          >dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking at
          >the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available
          >at Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable--
          >sometimes just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody have
          >experience with dryers that dry a load in the same time it takes a
          >washer load to complete?
          >
          >We have two theatres--a 500-seat auditorium and a 210-seat black
          >box. We do about 13 shows a year, usually about 12 performances per
          >show, dark in the summer. We do washable laundry every 2
          >performances, dry cleaning at the end of a run with "chemical
          >freshening" as demanded.
          >
          >Donna McKenna
          >Costume Shop Manager
          >Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
          >dmckenna@...
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > *
          > <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>TheCostumersManifesto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > *

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Ken & Patricia
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
            <cos2mer2000@y...> wrote:
            > Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
            > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club
            has
            > provided
            > us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of
            washers
            > and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are
            lacking
            > from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer belt!
            > Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers
            and
            > dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking
            at
            > the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available at
            > Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable-- sometimes
            > just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody

            I just purchased the LG front loading model from Best Buy. You can see them at
            www.bestbuy.com I absolutely love them. I've only had them a month though so I can't
            really comment on staying power. They easily handle 20 yards of muslin. I've also washed
            12 yds of heavy upholstery at one time. The spin cycle on high almost dries it too. The
            dryer is 7.3 cu ft, it's huge! We did purchase the extended warranty because the brand is
            new to the US, but has been sold in Europe for decades.

            I looked carefully at all the front loaders. People on my sewing ng had horror stories
            about the Neptune pair. Every Duet I saw had the handle snapped off. And there was no way
            to get it open without the handle.

            HTH
            Patricia