Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Teaching costuming

  • C Vaerewyck
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
      I do not teach costume construction however I took the class in college. Once we were done learning the basics our final project was of our choice. Our class spent a day at the fabric store. We each chose a pattern and had to ok with the teacher. We found everything we needed that day and spent the next few classes working on it. The last day we all had to wear and model what we made. Even the actors in the class enjoyed it because they were able to make something fashionable they could wear everyday.

      Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:I have a question for those of you who teach costume construction. I
      taught it myself for 7 years and it was a constant uphill battle, as I
      had to teach mainly acting students who didn't want to be there but
      were required to. I'm considering going back into teaching after a
      long respite and am wondering how to make it a more interesting, even
      possibly, an exciting experience for the students. In my efforts to
      teach sewing to total novices, I was constantly revamping the projects
      to improve them. In my last years at the job I was having the students
      make simple Elizabethan bodices, vests and hats. My theory was that
      they would learn something about costume history at the same time they
      were learning how to sew and they would be making something they could
      possibly use, either to wear to Renaissance Faires or as rehearsal
      garments for plays. This worked quite well with the girls because
      they loved the tight low cut slightly boned bodices they could wear but
      the guys were a different story altogether. They never seemed to be
      interested in anything they made for themselves. Does anyone out there
      that teaches have any good ideas for appealing to male students? And
      if you have other ideas for simple class projects for both make and
      female students, I would love to hear them.

      Thanx!
      Sylrog

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        What kind of projects did you do before the final one in order to learn
        how to sew?
        And how many weeks long was your class?

      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          Has anyone else here taken costume classes as opposed to teaching them?
          I would be very interested in your comments too.

        • Coyote Woman
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
            I did, 20-odd years ago. The class was frankly boring -- almost all of the
            "hands on" work was grunt work sewing costumes for one of the productions,
            with no involvement in design at all. If I had been building a costume to
            keep for my self, or at the very least had gotten to have photos taken of me
            in the costume I'd built, for my portfolio (even if I had to pay for the
            photos), I would have been much more enthusiastic about the class. And MY
            that was a runon sentence!

            Lill

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
              My class was about 12-14 weeks. First we were shown how to work all of the machines in the costume shop. After this we were given a list of different machine and hand stitches along with diagrams and a piece of fabric for each. We had to make a sample notebook of them. After this we were taught how to take measurements. We had one day that we had to wear a leotard or something that was fitted and we learned to take measurments. From our measurments we learned how to draft a basic period vest or coat pattern and turn that into a muslin mock-up. Then do alterations to that. Then we took time for our final project. Our class was twice a week and it lasted 1hr 15mins. We did all of our work in class because very few of the students had their own sewing machine. These projects filled the semester.

              Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:What kind of projects did you do before the final one in order to learn

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                When I taught before I only had 6 weeks to teach how to sew so the
                class had to work really fast. It makes it difficult to get the
                students far enough along to do something really interesting and
                valuable for them.

              • Miss April
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
                  My class wasn't in costume construction, but was a garment construction class in the fashion department in my undergrad, and from what I saw of the costume construction class it was alot more useful.

                  What we had was a stitch book that needed to be completed by the end of the semester, the first thing we did was a a button down shirt (week 2) next project was we had to take a sinple vest pattern, get it approved after we made minor alterations to the project then the teacher surprised us with the fabrics we had to use.
                  (Mine was a princess seamed vest out of burlap, that was fun)
                  and out final was based on doing a tradional ethnic garment, patterened using only geometric shapes.

                  But the most useful thing was the huge stitch book, and in it we combiened things like straight stich, french seams, and welted seams, with cuff to make a like a half sleve ect.
                  and other things in 1/2 scale so you could she how they would be used, so it wasn't too boring.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links