Importan Notice

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
      Hello Freinds

      As i was surfing yestarday I found intresting webpages. I would like to share with my all friends and members in this group. Please have a look
      www.indiabazaar.net
      Thanks

      You can view this site at:
      http://www.indiabazaar.net/
      Thanks

      Karen

      So where is your web site?
      Visit http://www.earthlink.net/biz/hosting to build your own today!
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
        I have a question for those of you who teach costume construction. I
        taught it myself for 7 years and it was a constant uphill battle, as I
        had to teach mainly acting students who didn't want to be there but
        were required to. I'm considering going back into teaching after a
        long respite and am wondering how to make it a more interesting, even
        possibly, an exciting experience for the students. In my efforts to
        teach sewing to total novices, I was constantly revamping the projects
        to improve them. In my last years at the job I was having the students
        make simple Elizabethan bodices, vests and hats. My theory was that
        they would learn something about costume history at the same time they
        were learning how to sew and they would be making something they could
        possibly use, either to wear to Renaissance Faires or as rehearsal
        garments for plays. This worked quite well with the girls because
        they loved the tight low cut slightly boned bodices they could wear but
        the guys were a different story altogether. They never seemed to be
        interested in anything they made for themselves. Does anyone out there
        that teaches have any good ideas for appealing to male students? And
        if you have other ideas for simple class projects for both make and
        female students, I would love to hear them.

        Thanx!
        Sylrog
      • C Vaerewyck
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          I do not teach costume construction however I took the class in college. Once we were done learning the basics our final project was of our choice. Our class spent a day at the fabric store. We each chose a pattern and had to ok with the teacher. We found everything we needed that day and spent the next few classes working on it. The last day we all had to wear and model what we made. Even the actors in the class enjoyed it because they were able to make something fashionable they could wear everyday.

          Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:I have a question for those of you who teach costume construction. I
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
            What kind of projects did you do before the final one in order to learn
            how to sew?
            And how many weeks long was your class?

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
              Has anyone else here taken costume classes as opposed to teaching them?
              I would be very interested in your comments too.

            • Coyote Woman
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                I did, 20-odd years ago. The class was frankly boring -- almost all of the
                "hands on" work was grunt work sewing costumes for one of the productions,
                with no involvement in design at all. If I had been building a costume to
                keep for my self, or at the very least had gotten to have photos taken of me
                in the costume I'd built, for my portfolio (even if I had to pay for the
                photos), I would have been much more enthusiastic about the class. And MY
                that was a runon sentence!

                Lill

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                  My class was about 12-14 weeks. First we were shown how to work all of the machines in the costume shop. After this we were given a list of different machine and hand stitches along with diagrams and a piece of fabric for each. We had to make a sample notebook of them. After this we were taught how to take measurements. We had one day that we had to wear a leotard or something that was fitted and we learned to take measurments. From our measurments we learned how to draft a basic period vest or coat pattern and turn that into a muslin mock-up. Then do alterations to that. Then we took time for our final project. Our class was twice a week and it lasted 1hr 15mins. We did all of our work in class because very few of the students had their own sewing machine. These projects filled the semester.

                  Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:What kind of projects did you do before the final one in order to learn

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sylvia Rognstad
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2004
                    When I taught before I only had 6 weeks to teach how to sew so the
                    class had to work really fast. It makes it difficult to get the
                    students far enough along to do something really interesting and
                    valuable for them.

                  • Miss April
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
                      My class wasn't in costume construction, but was a garment construction class in the fashion department in my undergrad, and from what I saw of the costume construction class it was alot more useful.

                      What we had was a stitch book that needed to be completed by the end of the semester, the first thing we did was a a button down shirt (week 2) next project was we had to take a sinple vest pattern, get it approved after we made minor alterations to the project then the teacher surprised us with the fabrics we had to use.
                      (Mine was a princess seamed vest out of burlap, that was fun)
                      and out final was based on doing a tradional ethnic garment, patterened using only geometric shapes.

                      But the most useful thing was the huge stitch book, and in it we combiened things like straight stich, french seams, and welted seams, with cuff to make a like a half sleve ect.
                      and other things in 1/2 scale so you could she how they would be used, so it wasn't too boring.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links