Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Anyone got any cat proofing ideas?

  • Joannah Hansen
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
      Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to keep your cats/cat hair off your projects, except to have a 'cat-free' room to work in, which you are sort of doing with your garage as it is. As far as storage goes, if you don't want to be storing your posh frocks in the garage, perhaps keeping them in a garment bag (like the ones used by garment hire companies) in your wardrobe would work? Another possibility for fabric storage is a locked cupboard/closet, which is only opened to put things in and take things out, and stays locked at all other times. (As far as I know, no cat has ever learned to use a key, yet. ;-) ) Or those plastic storage boxes with the lids that are latched down by the box handles.

      One thing which I have discovered is very effective at getting cat fur off fabric, is to put on a (clean) rubber glove (like you use for doing the dishes) and wipe the gloved hand over the fabric. The fur sort of rolls up and of the fabric.

      Another thing for your girl who loves to knead - she mostly likes to lie on the fabric to be near you when you're working, if she's anything like my lot - is to make up a largish flat pillow for her to lie on, on top of your working fabric, if necessary. If you make the pillow out of something which she REALLY loves, my guess is that she won't complain, or more to the point, move off the pillow once she has been placed on it. Then she can knead to her heart's content, without damaging what you're working on.

      Hope this helps.
      Joannah

      --- Heidi Hobson <a1viola@...> wrote:
      I have three cats, only one of them has managed to come to the realization that he isn't a kitten anymore. They all LOVE to curl up on fabric. They never fail to get into wherever/whatever they want to, either. We keep fabric in the garage, to keep them off it. Anybody got any ideas on cat proofin during a project? I ask because the one with the maturity is dark, and we use white satin on a lot of projects and our girl LOVES to knead! And no, we can't declaw her, she gets out from time to time and it would endanger her, and claw sheaths? Been there, done that, WAY too much hassle. So what next? We can't work with clawed fabric, and it is SO hard to get Sammy and Piccolo's darker fur off satin and velvet! PLEASE, any ideas. I've even had to keep my Prom Dress and White Satin Evening Gown in the Garage! Any ideas, please? Their adorable, but they are little troublemakers (most of the time Pumpkin doesn't even mean to cause trouble)!

      Dragon's eye wide,
      Heidi

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
        I dont have a solution. I have the opposite problem. Light colored
        cats and I work with black fabrics. A lot of net and tulle, which act
        like magnets. I think I'm going to start putting a disclaimer on the
        invoices I send out with my garments, since I know I can never get all
        the cat hair off of them.

        Sylrog

        On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Heidi Hobson wrote:

        > I have three cats, only one of them has managed to come to the
        > realization that he isn't a kitten anymore. They all LOVE to curl up
        > on fabric. They never fail to get into wherever/whatever they want to,
        > either. We keep fabric in the garage, to keep them off it. Anybody got
        > any ideas on cat proofin during a project? I ask because the one with
        > the maturity is dark, and we use white satin on a lot of projects and
        > our girl LOVES to knead! And no, we can't declaw her, she gets out
        > from time to time and it would endanger her, and claw sheaths? Been
        > there, done that, WAY too much hassle. So what next? We can't work
        > with clawed fabric, and it is SO hard to get Sammy and Piccolo's
        > darker fur off satin and velvet! PLEASE, any ideas. I've even had to
        > keep my Prom Dress and White Satin Evening Gown in the Garage! Any
        > ideas, please? Their adorable, but they are little troublemakers (most
        > of the time Pumpkin doesn't even mean to cause trouble)!
        >
        > Dragon's eye wide,
        > Heidi
        >
        > ����� �����
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
        > <l.gif>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • Loretta Armstrong
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
          Ruffling on a serger is the BEST. Nothing comes close. But
          describing it with out my hands and an example? Er, that may be
          difficult.
          Let me explain what I used my shiring foot for and see it help you
          understand...
          I worked at a 50's diner to put myself through college. You had a
          uniform, but you had lots of leg room to add personality (and
          increase tips!!) I put together a number of peticoats to wear. Some
          looked like square dance peticoats, made with tule, and some were
          fabric, but they all followed the same idea. You start with
          one 'tier' going around your waist, then the next 'tier' was
          attached to that and was ruffled. (This is where the shiring foot
          came in.) The next tier was added, and on and on.
          I wore these peticoats for about 2 years. None of them ever fell
          apart. I would directly sew one layer to the other, so the layers
          were ruffled AND sewn on at the same time. I used a 4 thread with a
          short stich length, and just for safety and to keep the seams from
          rubbing against my legs, I would sew the serged seam down.
          To specificaly answer your questions:
          The seams hold up really well.
          You don't have to remove the knives- in fact, you still want them.
          You are just making a regular serger seam, but one of the layers is
          getting ruffled.
          How expensive is the foot? I really don't know. I totaly luck out
          because my mom teaches sewing at a store in Boulder, CO, and they
          don't pay her money, they pay in store credit. So I either get
          things free or at a really good discount. But really, no matter how
          much it costs, it is worth it. When I started making peticoats I
          would ruffle by hand and that took FOREVER. The foot works by
          seperating the two layers of fabric. The top layer just moves along
          evenly but the bottom layer gets pulled in more using the
          differental feed. It's fun to watch because that bottom layer just
          ruffles up and you don't touch anything! The serger then just works
          like usual, cutting off the seam allowance and overlocking the two
          edges. By the time the two layers get to the needle, they are back
          together, so the folded peice gets sewn to straight top peice.
          You can also just run one peice through the bottom of the foot with
          differental feed and just ruffle it.
          Is this making any sense? I have often thought about taking picts
          when I make a peticoat and making an online tutorial. If you would
          find that benifical, let me know and I will work on it!!

          Cats, ah, cats in our lives.
          I just moved my sewing room out of it's isolated room and into the
          open basement. I figured it was more important to spend time with my
          husband while I was sewing than protecting my stuff from cat hair. I
          have a bunch of plastic drawers that I keep my fabric in- it
          protects it from much, including the kittens. I need to find a cover
          for my serger because my moms cat used to chew on those threads. You
          have to be aware of what dammage they do, and be ready to combat it.
          My husband and I discovered that one of our kittens likes to chew
          cords- he chewed through some christmas lights and my husbands cell
          phone charger -while it was plugged in!! So now every cord in our
          house is covered with bitter apple to keep him from chewing.
          And sometimes, you can give them a 'peace offering.' Give them a
          scrap of what you are working on. That is their toy. Sometimes they
          understand and will only play with what they are given. Now you have
          to be careful and not just give them a scrap to play with, it has to
          be what they want. They would much rather chew on my boots than my
          scraps of leather, and so I think I may give them an old pair of
          birkenstocks to chew. And sometimes, you just have to embrace it as
          a personality quirk. You can very easily tell if something is mine
          or if I have worked on it- It is covered in cat hair and often has
          one or two peices of my own long hair on it, which is another
          discussion thread entirely.
          .....gad, I can talk a lot!!

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, K Murphy
          <costumerkate@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Loretta:
          >
          > I would die to have a good, fast, ruffling technique on my
          serger. I've used the ruffler attachment on my regular Bernina
          machine with "mixed" (read: not very good) results. How does the
          overlock ruffle stand up? Does it make a nice, strong seam? How
          expensive is the shirring foot? Do you have to remove the knife?
          Do you use four threads? All my instruction book outlines is how to
          shir, not how to seam a gathered ruffle to a flat edge.

          > And I envy you that kitten. I have only my three elderly kitty-
          cats creeping about, keeping my sewing chair warm for me and eating
          every thread in sight.

          > Kate

        • Ruth & Ana
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
            I can only speak of 5 thread sergers, as that is all I've ever used.
            Unless you're doing a lot of production sewing where having the
            combination of the chain stitch and the overcasting simultaneously will
            save you time (about 1/3 for a Renaissance tunic), then they are more
            expensive than the money they will make for you. Get a 4 thread. My
            next one will be a 4 thread, after three 5 thread sergers in 15 years.

            Another note. This winter, I had a new guy "clean and oil" my 5 thread,
            not realizing that while he might know what he was doing on a 3 or 4
            thread serger, he didn't know beans about a 5 thread serger. I
            compounded the problem by then taking it to another repairman, who
            loosened all the adjustments, and then couldn't get it back aligned. I
            had to send it back to the factory (this was after already paying a
            total of $180 to the two incompetants) and pay them almost $200 to get
            it repaired and running again. Finally, I found someone who does know
            beans about 5 thread sergers, who explained that they are infinitely
            more complicated mechanisms than 4 or 3 thread, and he finally got it
            fixed and running (more or less) properly for another $150.

            Another VERY big reason to get a 4 thread machine. Make sure the dealer
            offers on going instruction for free to customers and don't leave the
            shop with it unless you spend at least an hour learning how to use it.
            You can break or bend loopers and other fine parts that cost big $$$ if
            you don't know what you're doing. And learning to thread it from
            scratch can be quite daunting until you get the hang of it.

            Other than that Mrs Lincoln, I though the play a bit dull, until the
            last act....

            Ana

          • ~lisa.s
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
              Can this wondrous technique with any serger? I've got an eleven year old
              Husqvarna and it would be the super if a sheering foot were available
              for the thing, and that it would work.

              ~lisa.s

              ---

              --
              * llsturts@...
            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 23, 2004
                KP,

                We also once had a cat (may she RIP) who loved to pull out pins - push pins
                from the bulletin board, straight pins from a pincushion or seam,
                whatever. She then would bury them under the seat cushion in Hubby's
                chair, or sometimes with the push pins, just drop them on the floor (so you
                could find them with bare feet in the dark!!!) She also did this with the
                very sharp pointy reflectors on the Xmas light bulbs. She was very
                delicate about it and never injured herself on a pin. She lived to the
                ripe old age of 17.

                We currently have 5 cats, but also a large house, so we have separate
                sewing rooms that are (mostly) no cat zones. Everything still ends up with
                cat hair on it, though! :)

                Sandy

                At 01:46 AM 7/23/2004, you wrote:
                >I came back from the bathroom to discover that he'd almost entirely
                >unpinned both seams! Now I have to keep him out of the sewing room
                >entirely -- but if he ever comes across a pincushion that I've forgotten
                >to put back, I can count on his pulling them all out. I have no idea what
                >caused this idiocy, and thank God he's never yet managed to hurt himself,
                >but he is an annoying and much-beloved little weirdo!
                >
                >Cheers --
                >KP

                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C.Y. 4971

                Andromeda
              • Rici Tegarden
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 24, 2004
                  I had to get in on this one because I have 5 black cats who think my sewing
                  room is their room. The solution to the kneading is called "soft paws".
                  They are covers for the claws you get from the vet. He will put them on for
                  you but they have to be redone every 4 weeks so I learned to do it myself.
                  The kitties are pretty good about it. I trim their claws and then apply the
                  claw covers with nail glue. They didn't like them at first but don't have
                  problems now. And they come in a variety of colors so your kitty can be
                  fashionable.
                  I keep most of my fabrics in dress bags in a closet with doors. My brother
                  made me some ladder like hangers from nylon rope and pvc pipe and I can put
                  4 pieces of about 4-5 yard each on one hanger in a bag. And I use plastic
                  tubs Also I found a sponge thingy at Joann's that removes the cat hair
                  pretty well. It works like the rubber gloves and the hair rolls off. I
                  warn everyone I sew for that I have cats and can't promise that all the cat
                  hair or "antigen"(what causes allergic reaction and cat antigen is very hard
                  to remove according to my allergist) will be removed from any garment I work
                  on.

                  Rici in WV who is up way to early this morning:)
                  I dont have a solution. I have the opposite problem. Light colored
                  cats and I work with black fabrics. A lot of net and tulle, which act
                  like magnets. I think I'm going to start putting a disclaimer on the
                  invoices I send out with my garments, since I know I can never get all
                  the cat hair off of them.

                  Sylrog

                  On Jul 22, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Heidi Hobson wrote:

                  > I have three cats, only one of them has managed to come to the
                  > realization that he isn't a kitten anymore. They all LOVE to curl up
                  > on fabric. They never fail to get into wherever/whatever they want to,
                  > either. We keep fabric in the garage, to keep them off it. Anybody got
                  > any ideas on cat proofin during a project? I ask because the one with
                  > the maturity is dark, and we use white satin on a lot of projects and
                  > our girl LOVES to knead! And no, we can't declaw her, she gets out
                  > from time to time and it would endanger her, and claw sheaths? Been
                  > there, done that, WAY too much hassle. So what next? We can't work
                  > with clawed fabric, and it is SO hard to get Sammy and Piccolo's
                  > darker fur off satin and velvet! PLEASE, any ideas. I've even had to
                  > keep my Prom Dress and White Satin Evening Gown in the Garage! Any
                  > ideas, please? Their adorable, but they are little troublemakers (most
                  > of the time Pumpkin doesn't even mean to cause trouble)!
                  >
                  > Dragon's eye wide,
                  > Heidi

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
                  > <l.gif>
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  > . To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  >
                  > . To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >
                  > . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  > Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Heidi Hobson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 24, 2004
                    We used those for a while, but Pumpkin did NOT approve, and we got sick of being scratched with and without the claw sheaths. Somebory mentioned a pillow, I think I'll try that. And the black cats (LUCKY, 5 cats), I sympathize. I've got a Siamese, a dark tabby and an orange tabby, no matter what color the fabric is, one of them has fur that shows!