Sequin mysteries

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2004
      Wow...I figured something like that had to have happened to
      SOMEONE on here, but I never would have expected it to be
      such a wide-spread problem...

      > From: "bearhedded" <bearhedded@...>
      > Subject: Re: Okay, here's an odd one...
      >
      > But I doubt that's what happened to your costume. The
      > performer may have leaned against a fireproofed curtain,
      > and
      > transferred the chemical...I've seen that stuff eat
      > through the can
      > it came in AND the metal shelf it was stored on(!), a
      > little
      > aluminum powder would be childs play!

      Pretty sure it isn't that...for one thing, there are no
      curtains on the set (outdoor theater, curtains get unruly
      in the wind). I am thinking it is a chemical thing,
      though...more on that later.

      > As to repair, you might try Rennaisance Foil, by Delta,
      > but,
      > instead of using all the sealers and binders and things,
      > you
      > transfer it with a warm iron. It'll take some
      > experimentation, but
      > there are some great effects possible! Be sure to let
      > it cool
      > before you peel off the plastic!

      Intriguing...I'm not real eager to try it, but things may
      get to that point. Would be pretty cool if it worked,
      though...I've already got a reputation for being able to
      rescue stuff from the junk heap that everyone else was
      pretty sure was beyond all hope.

      > From: "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...>
      > Subject: Re:Odd one
      >
      > I've had some luck re-coloring silver and/or gold back on
      > using
      > those liquid calligraphy pens. It looks like NEW on knits
      > that have
      > that black backing. Try it on a corner that doesn't
      > show.All it
      > costs is the pen price.

      That sounds intriguing...there are plenty of spots on those
      outfits that don't show (they wear knee-high black boots
      with them, anything from the calf down is fair game and at
      least one of the other outfits is also showing some 'bald
      spots' in that area. Thanks to both of you for the
      ideas!!!

      > From: "randy keator" <randolphk@...>
      > Subject: Re: Okay, here's an odd one...
      >
      > Tell you I found
      > out. Some soaps and body washes contain certain chemicals
      > that actually turn
      > into and emit ammonia gas when they come into contact
      > with chemicals found
      > in some perspiration ! My gown was the material you
      > describe but blue
      > instead of silver and had the " sparkle" missing in high
      > perspiration
      > areas." Truth is stranger than fiction"

      Yep...sounds very familiar.

      > From: "Susan Cassidy" <susabela@...>
      > Subject: Re: Okay, here's an odd one...
      >
      > The only thing that came to mind is sun/light damage.
      > Weird!

      Definitely NOT sun damage...there are no windows backstage,
      the set faces north and is covered, and the actual time
      during the show that they wear the costumes is less than a
      half-hour daily (over the course of four shows). Lighting
      in the dressing room is incandescent, clear bulbs around
      the mirrors and recessed floodlights overhead...neither of
      which are particularly high-intensity light sources.

      > From: "David" <djuby@...>
      > Subject: Where have all the sequins gone?
      >
      > I have had similar experiences with sequins "losing it"
      > on certain
      > performers. The bodywash idea is probably a pretty sound
      > one. I was
      > bemoaning a simlar experience to a group of friends after
      > a show one
      > night, when a doctor friend of mine suggested that even
      > the performers
      > diet could affect a fabric. He said, in a much more
      > technical way,
      > that we sweat what we eat, and that a diet high in zinc
      > or even
      > potassium could be transferred through perspiration to
      > the fabric and
      > would affect the metallic finish of the sequins. Because
      > I knew the
      > actor well, and we had joked about how he would have to
      > be even more
      > talented now that no longer sparkled as much, I asked him
      > about
      > supplements he might be taking. Sure enough, he had been
      > ingesting a
      > zinc supplement for several months at the request of a
      > doctor. May
      > have been a coincidence, maybe not.

      An intriguing thought...not necessarily an encouraging one,
      because I am not really certain about how to track down
      what in her diet may have been responsible.

      Thus far, the most likely culprit actually appears to be
      Febreze. There is one other outfit that is just beginning
      to show signs of doing the same thing, and that girl had
      been misting it with Febreze (we only get time to wash them
      once a week, which is unfortunate, but they have to
      line-dry and there's not enough time in the schedule for
      them to get more washing than that...not to mention the
      effect excessive washing would also have on the sequins!)
      The girl with the problem suit had not been hitting her
      outfit with Febreze, but she had been liberally dosing her
      leotard with it between shows, so it had a fair amount
      built up. I tested the theory, a little bit, on her
      messed-up suit (she's using one from the cast that's off
      this week). Spraying the outside of the suit had no
      effect...but spraying the inside, where the sequins had
      just started to fade, caused a significant darkening of the
      silver. I tried it again, from the inside, on a 'regular'
      patch, which showed no effect...so, as best I can guess, it
      is an effect that builds up over time until the fumes reach
      a certain density.

      Needless to say, the girls are being far more cautious in
      how they use Febreze (hasn't seemed to affect any other
      costumes in the show). I'll ask and see if the body-wash
      or diet ideas could also be involved (I suspect it was
      probably multiple factors that compounded each other in the
      one case, which is why we had one extreme change and the
      other suit has only got slightly faded patches...to the
      best of my perception, none of the other suits have shown
      any signs of 'going south' on us.)

      The other thing I may have them start doing (which will
      also help a little bit with the aroma since the Febreze has
      been outlawed) is having them hang the suits up inside-out
      at night. This will allow them to air out more
      effectively, and if there are any fumes that have built up
      as a result of exposure, it will help dissipate them as
      opposed to entrapping them beneath vulnerable sequins.

      Thanks again, to EVERYONE, for the input...this has had me
      beating my head against a wall for the past couple of days
      (not so much for the one...I've been doing this long enough
      to know it doesn't help to torment myself over something
      that's already gone wrong...but I don't want it happening
      to any of the others!) I may not know what the whole
      problem was, but I at least have some places to start
      looking (or continue looking, since we seem to have zeroed
      in at least one potential culprit); and actually KNOWING
      that there is something to look for is a massive help!!!

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
        Thanks Curtis---we've all learned from your experience. This is just one instance when the internet is a godsend.

      • Chrispygirl222@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2004
          Try using cheap vodka for the odor problem instead of Fabreeze. Undiluted.
          It kills the bacteria, and you won't have a perfumy smell. Good luck!

          Christine