Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] NA garments

  • sherman, talley and raymond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2004
      I am working o an all leather doll for the state and county fair. Its an NA
      doll. she is wearing a T dress with long fringe.
      I need to know if silk dye can color chamois? or do i need paint, and if i
      need paint what type?
      Does anyone know how to roll tin or even cut aluminum cans to make Jingles?
      Is there a simple head dress I can use to finish the doll?
      is there a place where i can get a scale pattern of boots or moccassins?
      This is a first NA doll for me, I am undertaking an eskimo next. All help on
      types of eskimo and their clothes would be of help!
    • nanniemouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2004
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "sherman, talley and
        raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
        > I am working o an all leather doll for the state and county fair.
        Its an NA
        > doll. she is wearing a T dress with long fringe.
        > I need to know if silk dye can color chamois? or do i need paint,
        and if i
        > need paint what type?
        > Does anyone know how to roll tin or even cut aluminum cans to make
        Jingles?
        > Is there a simple head dress I can use to finish the doll?
        > is there a place where i can get a scale pattern of boots or moccassins?
        > This is a first NA doll for me, I am undertaking an eskimo next. All
        help on
        > types of eskimo and their clothes would be of help!

        I take it that this is a generic, non-tribal doll. Different tribes
        have different style ornamentation. I don't know about paint on
        leather, but Tandy has dyes and paints at their web site.

        If you are looking for a modern look, a beaded hair wrap with a
        leather lace hung with feathers would work for a young girl. Bead a
        leather rectangle with lacing holes and lace it around a pair of
        pigtails. My antique doll has no head ornamentation at all, she just
        has braids.

        As for jingles, I would use aluminum for a doll. It is easier to work
        with and won't be taking much wear. Tin makes a better sound, but in
        scale there won't be enough of a difference to matter. Flatten out a
        can and cut circles with a radius approximately the length of your
        jingle. Make a small hole in the center. Cut the circle in half. Bend
        up a small lip on one edge and a down lip on the other. Carfully curl
        the piece into a cone and interlock the edges, down lip on top,
        painted side inward. Insert a pointed stick the size and shape you
        want the inside of the jingle to be, and carfelly tap the seam closed
        with a mallet. You might need a skewer or something to open the
        point, so you can thread the thong through. Use fine sand paper to
        smooth the edges. Thread several on the thong or fringe and crimp the
        pointed ends with pliers, so they over lap. You might experiment with
        stiff paper to find the size you want.

        For you moccasins, there is a book called: Craft Manual of North
        American Indian Footware by George M. White that has instructions for
        many styles, including Mukluks for your next project. It doesn't have
        exact patterns but shows you how to fit and create your own pattern
        based on the foots measurement. Some of the designs would be
        relitavly easy. I bought mine from Amazon.com, but you might find it
        at Tandy's leather.

        I hope this helps.

        Kathleen