Re: The Fine Points of Gauntlets

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8 12:24 AM
      > From: Joannah Hansen <Joannah@...>
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 1019
      >
      > The person who wrote about leather gauntlets was
      > referring to glove-type gauntlets, I think.

      I was actually referring to both...I've made some attached
      to gloves, as well as some that were simply worn on the
      lower arm. But the point is taken...that's what I get for
      writing my email responses way too late at night.

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • sherman, talley and raymond
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8 7:51 AM
        Hit its julie,
        I wasnt referring to the leather gloves. eather gauntlents are available pre
        made from Museum replicas unlimited.
        These types of gauntlest or wrist cuffs were used to protect gladiators from
        swords and chains. They were either laced on or were made from rawhide and
        then shrunk on. Traditionally speaking.
        Then you have the nurses/medical gauntlets that were made from celluloid,
        creating an almost cone with either a button or snap closure.
        As we look more foward we take wider strap band gauntlets that were common
        also in gladitorial times and other warring times. Theyt were part and
        parcel of the , what we now know as a cuff. This was not only decorative,
        but also created a protected area, again from sharp knves swords, chains or
        even ropes.
        The gauntlet that we assume is the leather glove was actually atwo fold
        invention. ONly one style however. Stemming from the Spanish swordsman. the
        gauntlet protected the wrist and the glove prevented the sewat of holding
        the instrument from slipping. the combination of the two created what is
        sommonly known as a Gauntlet. Biut correctly it should be known as the Glove
        Gauntlet.
        Wide band straps of all cultures where heavy lifting took thegauintlet and
        also made it as a reinforcement or prpotective device prevemnting the wearer
        from his wrist being popped. It acted much like a gridle on the arm.
        Hiatorically and anthropologicaly speaking, a triue gauntlet, is made from
        hard tanned leather, or rawhide. The modern version from about 1800 foward
        are made fo celluloids, and as we gained into the 20th century of buckram,
        starched or reinforced with wire edge under white muslin of extreme close
        weave.
        In thelate 21st cebtury we have seen gauntlest made from plastics.
        Julia
        > > The person who wrote about leather gauntlets was
        > > referring to glove-type gauntlets, I think.
        >
        > I was actually referring to both...I've made some attached
        > to gloves, as well as some that were simply worn on the
        > lower arm. But the point is taken...that's what I get for
        > writing my email responses way too late at night.
        >

        > =====
        > Curtis Kidd
        > "Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel could be you!"

      • Ken & Patricia
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9 4:23 AM
          I wasnt referring to the leather gloves. eather gauntlents are available pre made from
          Museum replicas unlimited.
          These types of gauntlest or wrist cuffs were used to protect gladiators from swords and
          chains. They were either laced on or were made from rawhide and then shrunk on.
          Traditionally speaking.

          aka Bracers

          http://www.leatherdreams.com/Bracers.htm
          http://www.eeldrytch.com/Bracers.html