Re: Red Cross Dresses: Pre Washing Fabric

  • nanniemouse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Ruth & Ana <yahoo@s...>
      wrote:
      > I preshrink all my fabric for washable clothing. But if it's going to
      > be dry cleaned, then don't bother. Unless you want the "used" look. A
      > dye-fast piece of fabric will still look new after washing, drying and
      > pressing.
      >
      > Ana

      on't forget to preshrink all fabrics in a garment. I have a bodice
      that was destroyed when the coutil shrank more than the other fabrics.
      The worst thing is, I know better, but got in a hurry.

      Kathleen
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        At 09:45 PM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
        >I preshrink all my fabric for washable clothing. But if it's going to
        >be dry cleaned, then don't bother. Unless you want the "used" look. A
        >dye-fast piece of fabric will still look new after washing, drying and
        >pressing.
        >
        >Ana

        If the fabric is dry-cleanable it should be dry-cleaned before cutting as
        well; for the same reasons. It may not shrink, but it might.

        Pierre

        > > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:44:41 -0400
        > > From: "Michele Milunas" <drkfrau@...>
        > >
        > >Oh, another question.....a seamstress who made one of my Red Cross
        > dresses laundered the fabric before she sewed it. Is this a good
        > idea? My Mom, who's been sewing for years, said that I shouldn't do that
        > because it will make the item look used. Is this true?
        > >
        > >Michele

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.