Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Red Cross Dresses: Pre Washing Fabric

  • Ruth & Ana
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      I preshrink all my fabric for washable clothing. But if it's going to
      be dry cleaned, then don't bother. Unless you want the "used" look. A
      dye-fast piece of fabric will still look new after washing, drying and
      pressing.

      Ana

      >_______
      >
      >Message: 6
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:44:41 -0400
      > From: "Michele Milunas" <drkfrau@...>
      >Subject: Re: WWII Ribbons
      >
      >Thank you, everyone, who replied to my post about these ribbons. I finally did, after some slight folding, get them on the tunic. I did exactly what you advised and they look pretty good to me. I hope that my client likes them as well. To secure them, I used a thread color that matched the sides of the one ribbon and did a running or backstitch along the edges. My friend who sewed on his own ribbons told me that it keeps the wearer from "catching" the ribbons on a thin tree branch. The bottoms I just used a tacking stitch.
      >
      >Ana and Maggie, I appreciate your help with this. Now, it's on to sewing replacement buttons on another tunic. LOL
      >
      >Oh, another question.....a seamstress who made one of my Red Cross dresses laundered the fabric before she sewed it. Is this a good idea? My Mom, who's been sewing for years, said that I shouldn't do that because it will make the item look used. Is this true?
      >
      >Michele

    • nanniemouse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Ruth & Ana <yahoo@s...>
        wrote:
        > I preshrink all my fabric for washable clothing. But if it's going to
        > be dry cleaned, then don't bother. Unless you want the "used" look. A
        > dye-fast piece of fabric will still look new after washing, drying and
        > pressing.
        >
        > Ana

        on't forget to preshrink all fabrics in a garment. I have a bodice
        that was destroyed when the coutil shrank more than the other fabrics.
        The worst thing is, I know better, but got in a hurry.

        Kathleen
      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
          At 09:45 PM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
          >I preshrink all my fabric for washable clothing. But if it's going to
          >be dry cleaned, then don't bother. Unless you want the "used" look. A
          >dye-fast piece of fabric will still look new after washing, drying and
          >pressing.
          >
          >Ana

          If the fabric is dry-cleanable it should be dry-cleaned before cutting as
          well; for the same reasons. It may not shrink, but it might.

          Pierre

          > > Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:44:41 -0400
          > > From: "Michele Milunas" <drkfrau@...>
          > >
          > >Oh, another question.....a seamstress who made one of my Red Cross
          > dresses laundered the fabric before she sewed it. Is this a good
          > idea? My Mom, who's been sewing for years, said that I shouldn't do that
          > because it will make the item look used. Is this true?
          > >
          > >Michele

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.