Re:Embarrassed to admit... I cannot sew

  • AF Murphy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2004
      Vogue Sewing. Or whatever they're calling it now - I have a vague idea
      it's been renamed? An old edition works fine, and you can often get it
      used. (The major changes are that they update the fashions used in the
      examples.)

      This is *not* a textbook. It will not teach you to sew. It is a
      reference book, and, as such, many experienced sewers have it in their
      library to consult when they want to use a technique they don't normally
      do. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if your mom has it herself...) It
      covers many more techniques than you can possible get to in a month. So
      you have it so you have a reference later to remind you how to set
      zippers, but you can say to her "But we never did set raglan sleeves,
      and this way I can look that up, when I'm not with you!" It also has a
      lot about alterations... very handy.

      I don't think I ever read it cover to cover - not that kind of book.
      Most of the time it sits on my shelf. But when I do take it down, it's
      because I *need* it - and then, it's invaluable.

      As for the machine - Set up is different in every machine, so that's
      sort of not an issue, because it will always be an issue. Just remind
      her what your machine is, and ask her either not to use a stitch you
      don't have, or, when it's really useful to tell you, *and* show you a
      work around you can do. (Or let you decide that this is your only chance
      to get a dress with this nifty feature and go for it, knowing that you
      won't reproduce it.) I've only used very basic machines, and that's
      plenty for most sewing.

      Anne