Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Embarassed to admit .. I cannot sew

  • butchncleo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2004
      It is ok really, you will be surprised what desire will do to help you learn.I started out with a hard project one and a half years ago. my daughter had a book report and she picked clara barton, needless to say i made a full length black civil war dress that was awesome. i had to sort of recreate because i had no button hole attachment and had to do by hand. and then it just didnt come togethr so i made it work, it turned out gorgeous and she looked great then my kids thought that i "could" do another project and so i ended up making the brides maid dresses for my own wedding had to recreate those because i didnt know how to do zippers. so i cut it down the back and put in buttons up to the back (from the bottom of dress up)and then loops the full length of back and then laced ribbon through it. the dress was royal blue taffeta fully lined.
      daughter in law took blue and white seed beads and made a flower motif across the front of the square neckline. it turned out just fine.
      practice, i still struggle with patterns but currently make and sell and even wear renaissance clothes as we are involved in sca also.

      you will be surprised if you just force yourself and just take your time to figure out the complicated patterns. it willl come together for you. also most sewingplaces also have lessons that you can take if you are stuck. they will help you through.

      good luck

      margaret of manchester
      peggy