  • rermisch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2001

      Hi!
         I think that you will find a pattern for what you are looking for in both Amazon Drygoods or Alter Years. You should be ableto findthem under suppliers or patterns is probably even better. Hope this helps!    Beck

      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
      2. Re: Re: Corset Advice?
      From: judycat@...
      3. Re: Re: Corset Advice?
      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
      4. Re: Re: Corset Advice?
      From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>
      5. Re: Re: Corset Advice?
      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
      6. Re: Digest Number 199
      From: Helen Connellly <helens@...>
      7. Re: Digest Number 199
      From: Jeni <paquerette@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:17 -0800 (PST)
      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Corset Advice?

      > We have also tried using very
      heavy duty plastic
      > cable ties as corset
      > bones, and found
      they were just as effective as
      > steel bones, could
      > easily
      be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
      > and made the
      > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND

      dryable in
      > machines!!!

      This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
      used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
      roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
      and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
      comfortable.

      Becky

      http://personals.yahoo.com

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:03:43 -0500
      From: judycat@...

      >This summer I made an elizabethan style
      corset and
      >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

      What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does the
      hose look like????

      Judy

      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:18:44 -0800 (PST)
      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>

      --- judycat@... wrote:
      > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
      > >used
      swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

      > What in the world
      is a swamp cooler and what does
      > the
      > hose look
      like????

      > Judy

      Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
      conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
      cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
      that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100 feet.
      I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
      rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
      break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
      solution to my problem of finding something to hold
      out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
      halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
      Worked fine.

      Becky

      http://personals.yahoo.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:03:49 -0800 (PST)
      From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>

      href="mailto:judycat@...">judycat@... wrote:
      > > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset

      and
      > > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
      > >
      > > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what
      does
      > > the
      > > hose look like????
      > >
      > > Judy
      > >

      > Swamp
      coolers are used in dry areas for air
      > conditioning. They take a
      small amount of water to
      > cool air and are hooked to a small stiff
      hose about
      > that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100

      feet.
      > I cut it easily with scissors and since its
      plastic,
      > rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it
      won't
      > break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap

      solution to my problem of finding something to hold
      > out the
      roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
      > halloween and I thought
      why not use it for boning.
      > Worked fine.

      Becky

      > Do You
      Yahoo!?

      href="http://personals.yahoo.com">http://personals.yahoo.com

      Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
      Also, what department would carry it?

      http://personals.yahoo.com

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:44:30 -0800 (PST)
      From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>

      > Can I walk into a Home Depot
      and ask for this stuff?

      > Also, what department would carry
      it?

      I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
      Just head for the home heating and cooling section and
      ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
      comes in three colors, black, copper and natural...if
      that matters. You have to create a bit more room for
      pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
      notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.

      I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
      material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
      lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
      coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
      stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.

      Becky

      http://personals.yahoo.com

      Message: 6
      Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:10:08 -0800
      From: Helen Connellly <helens@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 199

      Hello Costumers!

      I've been lurking here for a bit, and have enjoyed your posts. I don't work
      in costuming, but I'm a wearer of costumes, and it looks like I'm going to
      be doing some sewing soon. I drive a carriage, and one of the cardinal
      rules of showing is never let your animal down. I am size 2X or 22, and
      would like to start working on a costume to match the carriage and the ever
      handsome Charlie (horse). The carriage is a 1860 vis-a-vis--white with
      purple interior, a color combination that is far from authentic. It's more
      important to be recognizable as an eqestrian to the public than strictly
      period correct. My sewing level is Beginning to Intermediate

      My idea is this--Boots (Black w/Tan tops), Tan breeches, and a Long Jacket
      Red with black collar (reminiciant of hunting pinks) Stock tie, and
      Top hat.
      Am looking for ---

      Boots --- For stage or show

      Pattern--- For Jacket -- Doesn't need to be 100% authentic, just in the
      ballpark. This would differ from a regular hunt jacket by being longer.

      Do you have any ideas? Do you think I'm on the right track? Any sources you
      can recomend?

      Helen

      PS. I'd rather trust my VISA card than my sewing, so if anyone can think of
      a mfg....

      Message: 7
      Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 06:16:39 -0500
      From: Jeni <paquerette@...>

      Helen Connellly wrote:

      > Hello
      Costumers!

      > I've been lurking here for a bit, and have
      enjoyed your posts. I don't work
      > in costuming, but I'm a wearer of
      costumes, and it looks like I'm going to
      > be doing some sewing
      soon. I drive a carriage, and one of the cardinal
      > rules of showing
      is never let your animal down. I am size 2X or 22, and
      > would like
      to start working on a costume to match the carriage and the ever

      handsome Charlie (horse). The carriage is a 1860 vis-a-vis--white with
      > purple interior, a color combination that is far from
      authentic. It's more
      > important to be recognizable as an eqestrian
      to the public than strictly
      > period correct. My sewing level is
      Beginning to Intermediate

      > My idea is this--Boots (Black
      w/Tan tops), Tan breeches, and a Long Jacket
      > Red with black collar
      (reminiciant of hunting pinks) Stock tie, and
      > Top hat.
      > Am
      looking for ---

      > Boots --- For stage or show
      >
      > Pattern--- For Jacket -- Doesn't need to be 100% authentic, just
      in the
      > ballpark. This would differ from a regular hunt jacket by
      being longer.

      > Do you have any ideas? Do you think I'm on
      the right track? Any sources you
      > can recomend?

      Helen

      > PS. I'd rather trust my VISA card than my sewing,
      so if anyone can think of
      mfg....

      Hello!

      Simplicity has a wonderful looking pattern, 9453, Misses' Carriage and
      Buggy Coat, but as you can guess from the dreaded 'M' word, it doesn't
      go big enough, only sizes 6 - 20. (I'm also size 22, and this happens to
      me with a lot of patterns I like :( Maybe you can find someone to do
      custom work for you, who has the skills to alter the size.

      I'm sure I've seen similar patterns by the historical co's, but I don't
      know where off the top of my head. I'll try to find them Monday if
      someone else doesn't beat me to it.

      ~Jeni.

      --

      "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
      the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

      -William Pitt