  • lynaevm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2001
      In the continuing discussion of the equestrian outfit...

      I made my sister, who wears an off-the-rack size 24-26 this exact pattern
      (Simplicity 9453) for part of her halloween costume. Although the pattern
      actually only goes to size 20, the ease (as in most commercial patterns) is
      over-generous and I added a very minimal amount (1/4" - 1/2" per piece) at
      the side, side back, and undersleeve patterns pieces and it fit perfectly.
      If you're large chested, you would probably have to adjust the front of the
      princess curve as well. The pattern itself made up very quickly. I would
      definitely recomment the lined version - lays better and easier, in the long
      run. Another suggestion--the sleeve headers they suggest to keep the sleeves
      puffed are a bit out of hand--end up a little more like football shoulders
      than puffed sleeves. Toning them down and gathering instead of pleating has
      a much more pleasant effect. It is a very feminine style, which may not be
      what you're looking for, but it turns out quite lovely and the tailoring is
      simplified but still quite effective.

      Lynae Vandermeulen

      In a message dated 11/17/01 5:17:04 AM Central Standard Time,
      paquerette@... writes:

      <<
      Hello!

      Simplicity has a wonderful looking pattern, 9453, Misses' Carriage and
      Buggy Coat, but as you can guess from the dreaded 'M' word, it doesn't
      go big enough, only sizes 6 - 20. (I'm also size 22, and this happens to
      me with a lot of patterns I like :( Maybe you can find someone to do
      custom work for you, who has the skills to alter the size.

      I'm sure I've seen similar patterns by the historical co's, but I don't
      know where off the top of my head. I'll try to find them Monday if
      someone else doesn't beat me to it.

      ~Jeni.

      --

      "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
      the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

      -William Pitt >>