Re: [TheCostumersManifesto]Costume BO

  • bearhedded
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com,
      Alainngeal@a... wrote:
      > >> My girlfriend swears by "OUT!", an enzyme odor remover.  I'd
      use a urine
      > smell remover from the pet store.  They are very effective on
      > organically caused odors.
      >
      > Ana<<
      >
      > That's a great idea! I have an elderly cat who is either
      incontinent at
      > times or very angry at me for some reason. LOL. I've used the
      pet and child
      > safe odor removers with good success when she goes on my
      carpet or our beds (I
      > know--eeewww). I loathe the strong orange scent that remains,
      but I also hate
      > the chemical smell of Febreeze. I find that airing the item in
      question out in
      > the sun after treatment helps remove the secondary odors.
      > For those without pets, a "blacklight" is an excellent way to
      detect
      > organic odor sources, especially urine. I'll have to test it on
      body odor. Oh
      > boy, what a fun experiment. Heh.
      > Thanks for the idea Ana--this has been a big problem when
      using
      > secondhand clothes (which I love).
      >
      > ~Fairchild

    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
        We use 'Odorzout' at the Children's theatre (odorzout.com) ...a
        powder that you sprinkle on, then brush or vacuum off... but I'm
        wondering if you may be dealing with a garment made of a
        synthetic that is decomposing. I have come across several
        examples of garments/ fabrics from the late 60's, early 70's that
        produced a really unpleasant sour odor, seemingly all by
        themselves. They were usually nubby plaids, imitating wool,
        that I think were acetates. Nothing got the smell out...had to
        toss 'em!

        BH
      • Michelle Davidson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
          Thank you, all--I knew I could count on you! I will
          try everything and let you know what happens, but I
          have a sinking feeling that Bearhedded is right and I
          have a synthetic that is decomposing. It is actually
          a nubby solid imitaing wool and the smell is quite
          unbelievable, plus I think it is reacting to the
          actress's natural body oils and making something even
          more atrocious! We are already at work making a new
          costume. We open tomorrow, so it may be a long
          night...Thanks again. --Michelle

          --- bearhedded <bearhedded@...> wrote:

          > We use 'Odorzout' at the Children's theatre
          > (odorzout.com) ...a
          > powder that you sprinkle on, then brush or vacuum
          > off... but I'm
          > wondering if you may be dealing with a garment made
          > of a
          > synthetic that is decomposing. I have come across
          > several
          > examples of garments/ fabrics from the late 60's,
          > early 70's that
          > produced a really unpleasant sour odor, seemingly
          > all by
          > themselves. They were usually nubby plaids,
          > imitating wool,
          > that I think were acetates. Nothing got the smell
          > out...had to
          > toss 'em!
          >
          > BH

          =====
          The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
          --Josef Stalin

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Alainngeal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
            Not to be gross, but what about some essential oils to cover the odor? A tiny
            dab of patchouli (or a thousand other scents) might make the difference on
            stage. Obviously few people want to go around reeking of strong scents, but it
            could help temporarily.

            ~Fairchild