Re: [TheCostumersManifesto]Costume BO

  • Ruth & Ana
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
      My girlfriend swears by "OUT!", an enzyme odor remover. I'd use a urine
      smell remover from the pet store. They are very effective on
      organically caused odors.

      Ana

    • Alainngeal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
        >> My girlfriend swears by "OUT!", an enzyme odor remover.  I'd use a urine
        smell remover from the pet store.  They are very effective on
        organically caused odors.

        Ana<<

        That's a great idea! I have an elderly cat who is either incontinent at
        times or very angry at me for some reason. LOL. I've used the pet and child
        safe odor removers with good success when she goes on my carpet or our beds (I
        know--eeewww). I loathe the strong orange scent that remains, but I also hate
        the chemical smell of Febreeze. I find that airing the item in question out in
        the sun after treatment helps remove the secondary odors.
        For those without pets, a "blacklight" is an excellent way to detect
        organic odor sources, especially urine. I'll have to test it on body odor. Oh
        boy, what a fun experiment. Heh.
        Thanks for the idea Ana--this has been a big problem when using
        secondhand clothes (which I love).

        ~Fairchild

      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com,
          Alainngeal@a... wrote:
          > >> My girlfriend swears by "OUT!", an enzyme odor remover.  I'd
          use a urine
          > smell remover from the pet store.  They are very effective on
          > organically caused odors.
          >
          > Ana<<
          >
          > That's a great idea! I have an elderly cat who is either
          incontinent at
          > times or very angry at me for some reason. LOL. I've used the
          pet and child
          > safe odor removers with good success when she goes on my
          carpet or our beds (I
          > know--eeewww). I loathe the strong orange scent that remains,
          but I also hate
          > the chemical smell of Febreeze. I find that airing the item in
          question out in
          > the sun after treatment helps remove the secondary odors.
          > For those without pets, a "blacklight" is an excellent way to
          detect
          > organic odor sources, especially urine. I'll have to test it on
          body odor. Oh
          > boy, what a fun experiment. Heh.
          > Thanks for the idea Ana--this has been a big problem when
          using
          > secondhand clothes (which I love).
          >
          > ~Fairchild

        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
            We use 'Odorzout' at the Children's theatre (odorzout.com) ...a
            powder that you sprinkle on, then brush or vacuum off... but I'm
            wondering if you may be dealing with a garment made of a
            synthetic that is decomposing. I have come across several
            examples of garments/ fabrics from the late 60's, early 70's that
            produced a really unpleasant sour odor, seemingly all by
            themselves. They were usually nubby plaids, imitating wool,
            that I think were acetates. Nothing got the smell out...had to
            toss 'em!

            BH
          • Michelle Davidson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
              Thank you, all--I knew I could count on you! I will
              try everything and let you know what happens, but I
              have a sinking feeling that Bearhedded is right and I
              have a synthetic that is decomposing. It is actually
              a nubby solid imitaing wool and the smell is quite
              unbelievable, plus I think it is reacting to the
              actress's natural body oils and making something even
              more atrocious! We are already at work making a new
              costume. We open tomorrow, so it may be a long
              night...Thanks again. --Michelle

              =====

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
                Not to be gross, but what about some essential oils to cover the odor? A tiny
                dab of patchouli (or a thousand other scents) might make the difference on
                stage. Obviously few people want to go around reeking of strong scents, but it
                could help temporarily.

                ~Fairchild