Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] help! Something stinky...

  • Alainngeal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
      The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
      soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
      doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
      : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
      do anything for BO.
      I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
      body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

      ~Fairchild

    • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
        What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
        to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
        <adastra33@y...> wrote:
        > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
        > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
        > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
        > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
        > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
        > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
        > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
        > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
        > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
        > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
        > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
        > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
        > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
        > with because it really is the perfect costume except
        > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
        > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
        > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
        > something else? Thanks for any help.
        > --Michelle
        >
        > =====
        > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
        the votes decide everything.
        > --Josef Stalin

        > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Love3angle
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
          I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
          better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
          the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
          while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
          water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
          agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
          refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

          Alyxx
        • Alainngeal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
            >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
            better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
            the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
            while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
            water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
            agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
            refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

            Alyxx<<

            Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
            booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
            (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
            excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
            to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

            ~Fairchild

          • Michelle Davidson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
              Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
              Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
              happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
              a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
              site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
              enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
              set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
              paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
              the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
              poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
              the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
              saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
              garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
              costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
              gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
              fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
              --Michelle

              --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

              =====

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                that horrible smell?
                theresa

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/