Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
      My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
      gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
      want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
      all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
      Jessica

      --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
      <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
      > My daughter is a distance education highschool
      > graduate.
      > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
      > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
      > cap and gown for pictures.
      > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
      > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
      > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
      > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
      > type of fabric for the gown?
      > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
      > julie

      =====
      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Michelle Davidson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
        Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
        Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
        found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
        played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
        is, some clueless costumer in times long past
        apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
        first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
        armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
        garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
        odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
        a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
        it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
        pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
        with because it really is the perfect costume except
        for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
        beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
        Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
        something else? Thanks for any help.
        --Michelle

        =====
        The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
        --Josef Stalin

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Alainngeal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
          The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
          soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
          doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
          : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
          do anything for BO.
          I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
          body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

          ~Fairchild

        • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
            What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
            to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
            <adastra33@y...> wrote:
            > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
            > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
            > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
            > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
            > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
            > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
            > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
            > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
            > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
            > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
            > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
            > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
            > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
            > with because it really is the perfect costume except
            > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
            > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
            > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
            > something else? Thanks for any help.
            > --Michelle
            >
            > =====
            > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
            the votes decide everything.
            > --Josef Stalin

            > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Love3angle
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
              I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
              better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
              the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
              while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
              water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
              agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
              refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

              Alyxx
            • Alainngeal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                Alyxx<<

                Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                ~Fairchild

              • Michelle Davidson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                  Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                  Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                  happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                  a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                  site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                  enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                  set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                  paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                  the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                  poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                  the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                  saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                  garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                  costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                  gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                  fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                  --Michelle

                  --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                    How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                    that horrible smell?
                    theresa

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/