Re: Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • mborzoi
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
      Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
      > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
      > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
      colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
      pictures.

      Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
      people clearing out closets years after graduation.

      Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
      school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
      it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
      place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

      BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

      Michelle
    • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
        Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
        > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
        > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
        colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
        pictures.

        Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
        people clearing out closets years after graduation.

        Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
        school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
        it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
        place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

        BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

        Michelle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
          My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
          gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
          want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
          all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
          Jessica

          --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
          <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
          > My daughter is a distance education highschool
          > graduate.
          > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
          > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
          > cap and gown for pictures.
          > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
          > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
          > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
          > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
          > type of fabric for the gown?
          > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
          > julie

          =====
          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Michelle Davidson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
            Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
            Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
            found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
            played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
            is, some clueless costumer in times long past
            apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
            first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
            armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
            garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
            odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
            a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
            it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
            pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
            with because it really is the perfect costume except
            for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
            beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
            Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
            something else? Thanks for any help.
            --Michelle

            =====
            The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
            --Josef Stalin

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Alainngeal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
              The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
              soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
              doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
              : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
              do anything for BO.
              I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
              body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

              ~Fairchild

            • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                > something else? Thanks for any help.
                > --Michelle
                >
                > =====
                > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                the votes decide everything.
                > --Josef Stalin

                > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Love3angle
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                  I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                  better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                  the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                  while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                  water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                  agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                  refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                  Alyxx
                • Alainngeal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                    >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                    better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                    the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                    while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                    water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                    agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                    refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                    Alyxx<<

                    Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                    booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                    (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                    excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                    to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                    ~Fairchild

                  • Michelle Davidson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                      Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                      Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                      happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                      a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                      site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                      enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                      set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                      paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                      the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                      poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                      the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                      saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                      garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                      costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                      gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                      fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                      --Michelle

                      --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                        How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                        that horrible smell?
                        theresa

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com/