RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Coyote Woman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
      Ok, so if Olen Mills and Wal Mart don't have the stuff, then...

      A graduation robe is basically a zipfront oversized T Tunic Pleated onto a
      yoke. And a mortarboard is an elasticized cap with a fabriccovered
      cardboard square attached to the top by a button. You may be able to find a
      pattern for the actual gown and mortarboard, and if not then a choir robe
      pattern should do nicely. If she is not actually going to a graduation
      ceremony but is simply wearing this for the photo, then consider the linings
      wall at the fabric store -- you should be able to find royal blue and white
      easily for fairly cheap.

      Good luck --

      Lill

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
        Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
        > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
        > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
        colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
        pictures.

        Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
        people clearing out closets years after graduation.

        Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
        school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
        it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
        place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

        BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

        Michelle
      • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
          Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
          > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
          > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
          colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
          pictures.

          Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
          people clearing out closets years after graduation.

          Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
          school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
          it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
          place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

          BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

          Michelle

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
            My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
            gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
            want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
            all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
            Jessica

            --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
            <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
            > My daughter is a distance education highschool
            > graduate.
            > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
            > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
            > cap and gown for pictures.
            > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
            > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
            > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
            > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
            > type of fabric for the gown?
            > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
            > julie

            =====
            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • Michelle Davidson
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
              Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
              Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
              found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
              played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
              is, some clueless costumer in times long past
              apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
              first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
              armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
              garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
              odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
              a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
              it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
              pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
              with because it really is the perfect costume except
              for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
              beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
              Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
              something else? Thanks for any help.
              --Michelle

              =====
              The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
              --Josef Stalin

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Alainngeal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
                soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
                doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
                : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
                do anything for BO.
                I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
                body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

                ~Fairchild

              • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                  What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                  to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                  <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                  > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                  > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                  > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                  > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                  > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                  > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                  > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                  > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                  > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                  > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                  > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                  > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                  > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                  > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                  > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                  > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                  > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                  > something else? Thanks for any help.
                  > --Michelle
                  >
                  > =====
                  > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                  the votes decide everything.
                  > --Josef Stalin

                  > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Love3angle
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                    I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                    better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                    the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                    while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                    water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                    agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                    refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                    Alyxx
                  • Alainngeal@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                      >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                      better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                      the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                      while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                      water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                      agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                      refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                      Alyxx<<

                      Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                      booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                      (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                      excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                      to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                      ~Fairchild

                    • Michelle Davidson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                        Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                        Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                        happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                        a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                        site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                        enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                        set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                        paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                        the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                        poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                        the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                        saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                        garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                        costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                        gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                        fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                        --Michelle

                        --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                          How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                          that horrible smell?
                          theresa

                          http://messenger.yahoo.com/