Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4 1:17 PM
      Olen Mills and Wal Mart are the only photographers in the area. I live in real rural Tennessee. I know that jostens has a who shebang for 40 bucks but when you dont have the 40 bucks at all its hard.
      julie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4 1:20 PM
        Ok, so if Olen Mills and Wal Mart don't have the stuff, then...

        A graduation robe is basically a zipfront oversized T Tunic Pleated onto a
        yoke. And a mortarboard is an elasticized cap with a fabriccovered
        cardboard square attached to the top by a button. You may be able to find a
        pattern for the actual gown and mortarboard, and if not then a choir robe
        pattern should do nicely. If she is not actually going to a graduation
        ceremony but is simply wearing this for the photo, then consider the linings
        wall at the fabric store -- you should be able to find royal blue and white
        easily for fairly cheap.

        Good luck --

        Lill

        _____

        Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades
        ago
        when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
        gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
        shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
        do that.

        Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled
        graduates
        at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
        <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
        <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
        > &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
        =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>

        &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
        C2W2

        Congratulations to your daughter!

        Lill

        _____

        My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
        She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors
        wont
        allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
        I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I
        can
        order the cap and rent the gown?
        do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the
        cap
        and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
        Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
        julie

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298doorf/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups

        /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086452357/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
        lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2164330/rand=263623254>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        e>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129solttb/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups
        /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086465124/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*http://www.hous
        eholdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=000&mc=01PSYAY
        A004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2178650/rand=470003067>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        e>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • mborzoi
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4 2:40 PM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
          Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
          > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
          > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
          colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
          pictures.

          Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
          people clearing out closets years after graduation.

          Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
          school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
          it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
          place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

          BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

          Michelle
        • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4 5:22 PM
            Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
            > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
            > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
            colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
            pictures.

            Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
            people clearing out closets years after graduation.

            Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
            school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
            it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
            place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

            BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

            Michelle

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6 7:18 PM
              My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
              gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
              want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
              all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
              Jessica

              --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
              <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
              > My daughter is a distance education highschool
              > graduate.
              > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
              > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
              > cap and gown for pictures.
              > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
              > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
              > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
              > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
              > type of fabric for the gown?
              > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
              > julie

              =====
              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Michelle Davidson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6 10:37 PM
                Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                with because it really is the perfect costume except
                for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                something else? Thanks for any help.
                --Michelle

                =====
                The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
                --Josef Stalin

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Alainngeal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7 5:20 AM
                  The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
                  soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
                  doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
                  : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
                  do anything for BO.
                  I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
                  body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

                  ~Fairchild

                • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7 9:34 AM
                    What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                    to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                    <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                    > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                    > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                    > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                    > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                    > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                    > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                    > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                    > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                    > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                    > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                    > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                    > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                    > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                    > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                    > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                    > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                    > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                    > something else? Thanks for any help.
                    > --Michelle
                    >
                    > =====
                    > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                    the votes decide everything.
                    > --Josef Stalin

                    > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Love3angle
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7 10:01 AM
                      I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                      better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                      the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                      while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                      water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                      agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                      refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                      Alyxx
                    • Alainngeal@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 7 10:13 AM
                        >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                        better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                        the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                        while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                        water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                        agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                        refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                        Alyxx<<

                        Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                        booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                        (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                        excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                        to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                        ~Fairchild

                      • Michelle Davidson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 8 10:45 AM
                          Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                          Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                          happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                          a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                          site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                          enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                          set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                          paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                          the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                          poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                          the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                          saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                          garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                          costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                          gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                          fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                          --Michelle

                          --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 10 12:49 PM
                            How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                            that horrible smell?
                            theresa

                            http://messenger.yahoo.com/