RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Coyote Woman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
      Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades ago
      when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
      gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
      shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
      do that.

      Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled graduates
      at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
      <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
      =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>
      &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
      C2W2

      Congratulations to your daughter!

      Lill

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
        Olen Mills and Wal Mart are the only photographers in the area. I live in real rural Tennessee. I know that jostens has a who shebang for 40 bucks but when you dont have the 40 bucks at all its hard.
        julie

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
          Ok, so if Olen Mills and Wal Mart don't have the stuff, then...

          A graduation robe is basically a zipfront oversized T Tunic Pleated onto a
          yoke. And a mortarboard is an elasticized cap with a fabriccovered
          cardboard square attached to the top by a button. You may be able to find a
          pattern for the actual gown and mortarboard, and if not then a choir robe
          pattern should do nicely. If she is not actually going to a graduation
          ceremony but is simply wearing this for the photo, then consider the linings
          wall at the fabric store -- you should be able to find royal blue and white
          easily for fairly cheap.

          Good luck --

          Lill

          _____

          Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades
          ago
          when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
          gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
          shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
          do that.

          Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled
          graduates
          at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
          <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
          <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
          > &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
          =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>

          &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
          C2W2

          Congratulations to your daughter!

          Lill

          _____

          My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
          She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors
          wont
          allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
          I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I
          can
          order the cap and rent the gown?
          do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the
          cap
          and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
          Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
          julie

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298doorf/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups

          /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086452357/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
          lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2164330/rand=263623254>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          e>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129solttb/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups
          /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086465124/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*http://www.hous
          eholdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=000&mc=01PSYAY
          A004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2178650/rand=470003067>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          e>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • mborzoi
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
            Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
            > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
            > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
            colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
            pictures.

            Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
            people clearing out closets years after graduation.

            Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
            school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
            it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
            place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

            BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

            Michelle
          • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
              Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
              > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
              > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
              colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
              pictures.

              Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
              people clearing out closets years after graduation.

              Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
              school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
              it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
              place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

              BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

              Michelle

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
                gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
                want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
                all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
                Jessica

                --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
                <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
                > My daughter is a distance education highschool
                > graduate.
                > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
                > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
                > cap and gown for pictures.
                > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
                > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
                > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
                > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
                > type of fabric for the gown?
                > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
                > julie

                =====
                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • Michelle Davidson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                  Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                  Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                  found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                  played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                  is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                  apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                  first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                  armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                  garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                  odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                  a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                  it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                  pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                  with because it really is the perfect costume except
                  for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                  beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                  Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                  something else? Thanks for any help.
                  --Michelle

                  =====
                  The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
                  --Josef Stalin

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Alainngeal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                    The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
                    soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
                    doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
                    : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
                    do anything for BO.
                    I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
                    body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

                    ~Fairchild

                  • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                      What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                      to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                      <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                      > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                      > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                      > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                      > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                      > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                      > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                      > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                      > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                      > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                      > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                      > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                      > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                      > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                      > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                      > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                      > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                      > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                      > something else? Thanks for any help.
                      > --Michelle
                      >
                      > =====
                      > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                      the votes decide everything.
                      > --Josef Stalin

                      > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • Love3angle
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                        I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                        better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                        the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                        while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                        water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                        agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                        refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                        Alyxx
                      • Alainngeal@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                          >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                          better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                          the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                          while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                          water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                          agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                          refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                          Alyxx<<

                          Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                          booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                          (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                          excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                          to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                          ~Fairchild

                        • Michelle Davidson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                            Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                            Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                            happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                            a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                            site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                            enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                            set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                            paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                            the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                            poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                            the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                            saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                            garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                            costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                            gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                            fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                            --Michelle

                            --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                              How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                              that horrible smell?
                              theresa

                              http://messenger.yahoo.com/