Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Susan Cassidy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
      You can purchase graduation robes and caps fairly inexpensively--check out this website:

      http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/keepers.html
      Best of luck!
      Susan

    • Coyote Woman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
        Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades ago
        when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
        gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
        shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
        do that.

        Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled graduates
        at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
        <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
        =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>
        &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
        C2W2

        Congratulations to your daughter!

        Lill

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
          Olen Mills and Wal Mart are the only photographers in the area. I live in real rural Tennessee. I know that jostens has a who shebang for 40 bucks but when you dont have the 40 bucks at all its hard.
          julie

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
            Ok, so if Olen Mills and Wal Mart don't have the stuff, then...

            A graduation robe is basically a zipfront oversized T Tunic Pleated onto a
            yoke. And a mortarboard is an elasticized cap with a fabriccovered
            cardboard square attached to the top by a button. You may be able to find a
            pattern for the actual gown and mortarboard, and if not then a choir robe
            pattern should do nicely. If she is not actually going to a graduation
            ceremony but is simply wearing this for the photo, then consider the linings
            wall at the fabric store -- you should be able to find royal blue and white
            easily for fairly cheap.

            Good luck --

            Lill

            _____

            Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades
            ago
            when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
            gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
            shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
            do that.

            Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled
            graduates
            at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
            <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
            <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
            > &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
            =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>

            &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
            C2W2

            Congratulations to your daughter!

            Lill

            _____

            My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
            She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors
            wont
            allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
            I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I
            can
            order the cap and rent the gown?
            do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the
            cap
            and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
            Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
            julie

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298doorf/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups

            /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086452357/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
            lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2164330/rand=263623254>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            e>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129solttb/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups
            /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086465124/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*http://www.hous
            eholdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=000&mc=01PSYAY
            A004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2178650/rand=470003067>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            e>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • mborzoi
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
              Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
              > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
              > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
              colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
              pictures.

              Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
              people clearing out closets years after graduation.

              Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
              school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
              it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
              place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

              BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

              Michelle
            • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
                Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
                > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
                > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
                colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
                pictures.

                Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
                people clearing out closets years after graduation.

                Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
                school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
                it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
                place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

                BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

                Michelle

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                  My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
                  gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
                  want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
                  all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
                  Jessica

                  --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
                  <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
                  > My daughter is a distance education highschool
                  > graduate.
                  > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
                  > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
                  > cap and gown for pictures.
                  > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
                  > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
                  > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
                  > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
                  > type of fabric for the gown?
                  > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
                  > julie

                  =====
                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Michelle Davidson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                    Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                    Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                    found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                    played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                    is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                    apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                    first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                    armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                    garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                    odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                    a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                    it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                    pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                    with because it really is the perfect costume except
                    for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                    beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                    Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                    something else? Thanks for any help.
                    --Michelle

                    =====
                    The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
                    --Josef Stalin

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Alainngeal@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                      The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
                      soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
                      doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
                      : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
                      do anything for BO.
                      I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
                      body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

                      ~Fairchild

                    • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                        What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                        to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                        <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                        > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                        > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                        > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                        > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                        > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                        > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                        > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                        > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                        > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                        > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                        > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                        > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                        > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                        > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                        > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                        > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                        > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                        > something else? Thanks for any help.
                        > --Michelle
                        >
                        > =====
                        > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                        the votes decide everything.
                        > --Josef Stalin

                        > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                      • Love3angle
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                          I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                          better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                          the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                          while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                          water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                          agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                          refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                          Alyxx
                        • Alainngeal@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                            >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                            better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                            the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                            while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                            water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                            agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                            refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                            Alyxx<<

                            Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                            booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                            (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                            excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                            to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                            ~Fairchild

                          • Michelle Davidson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                              Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                              Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                              happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                              a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                              site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                              enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                              set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                              paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                              the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                              poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                              the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                              saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                              garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                              costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                              gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                              fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                              --Michelle

                              --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                                How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                                that horrible smell?
                                theresa

                                http://messenger.yahoo.com/