Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Graduation Mortarboard cap

  • Susan Cassidy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
      You can purchase graduation robes and caps fairly inexpensively--check out this website:

      http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/keepers.html
      Best of luck!
      Susan

    • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
        My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
        She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
        I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
        do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
        Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
        julie

      • Coyote Woman
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
          Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades ago
          when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
          gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
          shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
          do that.

          Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled graduates
          at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
          <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
          =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>
          &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
          C2W2

          Congratulations to your daughter!

          Lill

          _____

          My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
          She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors wont
          allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
          I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I can
          order the cap and rent the gown?
          do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the cap
          and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
          Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
          julie

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298doorf/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups
          /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086452357/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
          lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2164330/rand=263623254>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          e>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
            Olen Mills and Wal Mart are the only photographers in the area. I live in real rural Tennessee. I know that jostens has a who shebang for 40 bucks but when you dont have the 40 bucks at all its hard.
            julie

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
              Ok, so if Olen Mills and Wal Mart don't have the stuff, then...

              A graduation robe is basically a zipfront oversized T Tunic Pleated onto a
              yoke. And a mortarboard is an elasticized cap with a fabriccovered
              cardboard square attached to the top by a button. You may be able to find a
              pattern for the actual gown and mortarboard, and if not then a choir robe
              pattern should do nicely. If she is not actually going to a graduation
              ceremony but is simply wearing this for the photo, then consider the linings
              wall at the fabric store -- you should be able to find royal blue and white
              easily for fairly cheap.

              Good luck --

              Lill

              _____

              Have you contacted any photographers in your area? I know that decades
              ago
              when I graduated, the photographer who did my senior photos had a cap and
              gown in each of the area high school's colors, as well as velvet off the
              shoulder drapes in the school colors. I would imagine photographers still
              do that.

              Failing that... Josten's has a page specifically for home schooled
              graduates
              at: http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
              <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586
              <http://shop.jostens.com/Catalog.asp?CID=158586&PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
              > &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID
              =1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6C2W2>

              &PFID=2002052210324206726&GID=1932&PID=&mscssid=D1PS2LDHNSEL8HAX2GXGE3U1SMX6
              C2W2

              Congratulations to your daughter!

              Lill

              _____

              My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
              She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her colors
              wont
              allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for pictures.
              I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of a place that I
              can
              order the cap and rent the gown?
              do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a pattern for the
              cap
              and gown thatw ould look good.. what type of fabric for the gown?
              Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
              julie

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1298doorf/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups

              /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086452357/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
              lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2164330/rand=263623254>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              e>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129solttb/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups
              /S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1086465124/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*http://www.hous
              eholdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt=000&mc=01PSYAY
              A004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2178650/rand=470003067>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              e>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • mborzoi
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman, Talley and
                Raymond" <jimmysdevoted@b...> wrote:
                > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
                > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
                colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
                pictures.

                Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
                people clearing out closets years after graduation.

                Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
                school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
                it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
                place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

                BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

                Michelle
              • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2004
                  Margo says thank you to all of you who have wished her congrats!!!!
                  > My daughter is a distance education highschool graduate.
                  > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which are her
                  colors wont allow the rental of the graduation cap and gown for
                  pictures.

                  Have you tried the local thrift shops? They often have them from
                  people clearing out closets years after graduation.

                  Failing that, I'll contact my daughter who graduated from a "charter
                  school" a few years back with a royal blue cap & gown that never made
                  it back to the school. At this point its hanging in a closet at my
                  place. I'll see if she has any plans for it.

                  BTW - Congrats to your daughter & you!

                  Michelle

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Siebel San
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                    My school colors were blue and white. Want my cap and
                    gown? I've been kicking it around for a while, so if you
                    want it, just send me a couple bucks for shipping and it's
                    all yours. Email me privately if you're interested.
                    Jessica

                    --- "Sherman, Talley and Raymond"
                    <jimmysdevoted@...> wrote:
                    > My daughter is a distance education highschool
                    > graduate.
                    > She wants cap and gown photos but our local school which
                    > are her colors wont allow the rental of the graduation
                    > cap and gown for pictures.
                    > I was wondering is there a pattern or does anyone know of
                    > a place that I can order the cap and rent the gown?
                    > do yu think a costume rental would have it? how about a
                    > pattern for the cap and gown thatw ould look good.. what
                    > type of fabric for the gown?
                    > Her colors are royal blue and snow white.
                    > julie

                    =====
                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Michelle Davidson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 6, 2004
                      Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                      Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                      found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                      played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                      is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                      apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                      first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                      armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                      garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                      odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                      a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                      it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                      pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                      with because it really is the perfect costume except
                      for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                      beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                      Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                      something else? Thanks for any help.
                      --Michelle

                      =====
                      The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.
                      --Josef Stalin

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • Alainngeal@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                        The only other things I can think of are covering the area with baking
                        soda for a few days (assuming it can be brushed/vaccumed off adequately) or
                        doing the same with kitty litter. Clean kitty litter, for the jokers out there.
                        : ) This method works to remove severe smoke odors, but I don't know if it'll
                        do anything for BO.
                        I'm also curious why certain garments have the property of retaining
                        body odor--it doesn't seem to be based on fabric content.

                        ~Fairchild

                      • Loretta Larson-Armstrong
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                          What I want to know is how you got the armpit stains out.... I've had
                          to throw out some pretty cool outfits due to nasty armpits...

                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Davidson
                          <adastra33@y...> wrote:
                          > Help! I am about to open a production of "How to
                          > Succeed..." done on a very small budget and I have
                          > found the perfect business outfit for Smitty who is
                          > played by an actress who is a difficult fit. Problem
                          > is, some clueless costumer in times long past
                          > apparently stored this costume without cleaning it
                          > first. We managed to get the sweat stains out of the
                          > armpits, but as soon as the actress wearing the
                          > garment started heating up, she awakened the beastly
                          > odor of very old unwashed armpits. It is, of course,
                          > a dryclean-only garment...I have Febrezed it, sponged
                          > it with vinegar and water, pinned dryer sheets in the
                          > pits (I am trying every suggestion anyone comes up
                          > with because it really is the perfect costume except
                          > for the reek.) Every time we think we have the odor
                          > beat, it comes back as soon as the actress gets warm.
                          > Any suggestions, or do I just toss the thing and find
                          > something else? Thanks for any help.
                          > --Michelle
                          >
                          > =====
                          > The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count
                          the votes decide everything.
                          > --Josef Stalin

                          > http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                        • Love3angle
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                            I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                            better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                            the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                            while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                            water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                            agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                            refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                            Alyxx
                          • Alainngeal@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 7, 2004
                              >>I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here, but nothing works
                              better for me than vodka and distilled water, half and half. I but
                              the cheapest vodka possible, but you can splurge if you want to party
                              while de-stink-a-fying that suit. :-) Make sure you get distilled
                              water so you don't get any deposits from harder water or softening
                              agents on the clothes. This works great on my unwashable stuff and to
                              refresh a wardrobe between dress rehersals and performances.

                              Alyxx<<

                              Having been a bartender before, I can say honestly that the cheaper
                              booze is best for home remedies of any kind. It often takes the large bottles
                              (1.75 litres) to use as a "dry-cleaning solution" but is you mix the rotgut with
                              excellent fruit juice--for the drinking part--you wont notice. LOL. (Who wants
                              to sponge the armpits of a costume with vodka that costs $35 a litre?!). : )

                              ~Fairchild

                            • Michelle Davidson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 8, 2004
                                Again, everybody, thanks for all the suggestions.
                                Smitty's costume is now odor free and everyone is
                                happy. Loretta, I got the armpit stains out by using
                                a recipe I found through the costumer's manifesto
                                site: 1 tbs creme of tartar, 3 crushed aspirins, add
                                enough water to make a paste. Smear on the stain, let
                                set for 20 min and rinse. As for the odor, I made a
                                paste out of baking soda and water, smeared that on
                                the area and let it dry. I rinsed it off and then
                                poured the 1/2-n-1/2 vinegar/water solution through
                                the material. I let that sit about 1/2 hour and then,
                                saying a prayer to the costume gods, I hand washed the
                                garment and hung it out in the sun to dry. The
                                costume did not shrink or fall apart and the smell is
                                gone. The actress thinks I am a goddess now, which is
                                fine with me!;) Thank you all so very much.
                                --Michelle

                                --- Loretta Larson-Armstrong

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 10, 2004
                                  How about mothball stench? what do you use to remove
                                  that horrible smell?
                                  theresa

                                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/