RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] looking for advice

  • Jinks Hardy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2004
      That's just my point. I'd like to try my hand at what would be small projects, and see which type of quilting I like. I doubt I'd go for the big projects as I don't really have the funds to pay someone to machine quilt the projects for me. I'd just like some information to start up with. I have found a multitude of block patterns, and really can't wait to try some of them out, but again, I'd like some advice before I start thinking that I know everything there is to know. I think i'm going to start with a charm quilt, maybe a lap one, and just play around with the block patterns that I have. Of course, a crazy quilt would be interesting, too, but that might be a little too involved for me at the moment. Again, I'm just looking for a little advice. On whatever people think is the best method for a beginner, or pattern, or block, or whatever. I'm not picky. Again, thank you.

      Coyote Woman <lillyth@...> wrote:Hi, Sandrew. I think it depends on what KIND of quilting you want to do:
      functional? or art quilts? I can recommend www.quiltart.com and their
      mailing list for absolutely drool-worthy eye candy art quilts, and
      discussion of techniques. I am not currently a member because I found I was
      spending more time TALKING about creating art than actually DOING it... but
      I still like to go back and look from time to time.

      I sold or gave away most of my quilt books when I went back to dollmaking,
      but I remember REALLY liking the speedquilting book by Georgia Bonesteel.
      She had lots of useful tips and a good combination of traditional and
      new/quirky designs.

      Eve

      _____