Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?

  • Rowenna
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
      <G> yes, I have checked out those sites for design ideas too.  The estimate I quoted was on a site I found a few months ago that did specifically Moulin Rouge corsets.  I went hunting for it again last night and could not find it.  These were just gorgeous corsets, though...so voluptuous and heady!  The fabrics were just incredible and the styles really were like the ones in the film.  Also, because of the odd measurements, I know making a corset for this lady would be a little tricky.  A bust that much bigger than the waist will call for some inventive boning placement to prevent puckering and strain/tearing of the fabric.  I would agree though that generally your estimate is more general.  Have you seen the corsets at www.yosa.com ?  Those are really stunning.

      Rowenna

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
        Have you checked out Dark Garden? Their website is www.darkgarden.com
        My friend and I met the owner at a period event. The owner and two of her
        friends were wearing Dark Garden creations, which were gorgeous and very
        unique. Their store is in San Francisco but according to their website,
        they can also assist buyers outside of the area; you'd just have to send
        them your measurements as specified and they'll send you a mock up of what
        the corset will look like. I would guess that it will cost you minimum
        $300-400 as the off-the-rack styles are quoted at $150. But it wouldn't
        hurt to make inquiries and get a quote. Check them out.
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001

          > I'm looking into making a corset, but usual store
          > patterns come out a little weird for my proportions
          > (43-30-38, not kidding) and so I'm reluctant to go
          > that route. What I want to do is create a costume much
          > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red dress
          > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
          > I've found comes close. Does anyone have any
          > suggestions for me? Or, if making one could prove
          > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > BuffyX

          If you want to buy a really cool corset, go to ebay and
          either search for 'red corset' or whatever other color you
          want. A seller named youlookhot.com has corsets up all the
          time, so you could also search by seller. Two of my
          friends and I got corsets from her, and they are wonderful,
          though possibly not exactly what you are looking for. Good
          luck! I'll look for one and link it to you if I can.

          Jessie (who is going to have a website soon - whee!)

          =====
          - - - - - - - - - -

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Angel
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
            In article <20011115002533.65136.qmail@...>,
            Marianna Roberg <buffy-x@...> writes
            > Or, if making one could prove
            >troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?

            A few of my friends have bought corsets from Gallery Serpentine in
            Australia. Their stuff looks good and is pretty well made from what
            I've seen. It isn't suitable for serious tight lacing but its properly
            boned I think so good for a few inches of waist reduction.
            www.galleryserpentine.com.au

            As its an Australian site the prices are in Australian Dollars but I
            think some of them work out in the region of $100 US or so including
            shipping.

            Hope this helps :)

            lauren
            --
            aka {wanton^angel^}ML :: ROISSY WORKSHOPS LTD ::
            Design and Manufacture of Bespoke, Industrial Strength, Professional BDSM
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
              If you have NOT got a time frame that is very tight, you can get very
              good corsets much cheaper than $600 from Australia, but not under
              $100. Gallery Serpentine
              http://www.nightmachines.com/serpentine/corsets.html does custom
              orders, in a variety of styles from $230 in Australian dollars which
              are about fifty cents US, that is, the total is around $115. These
              are proper corsets, not Frederick's "lingerie" type ones. Leather
              corsets cost more, but satin, brocade and vinyl are affordable ,
              custom made at this rate. Standard sizes, even large sizes that they
              carry are even less, in some cases under $100 in US dollars.

              Here at UAF we have had great luck using the duct tape method of
              making boned bodice patterns
              http://www.100megspop3.com/waistedminds/aris.html and adapting them to
              generate corset patterns. We find this works really well for odd
              figure shapes.

              We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic cable ties as corset
              bones, and found they were just as effective as steel bones, could
              easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset, and made the
              corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND dryable in
              machines!!! We did a group of four cotton corsets for Earnest last
              year (based on the Laughing Moon pattern) that have held up great, and
              were considered quite comfortable by our actors.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
              > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
              dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves run
              about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
              measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
              neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.
            • Becky's naked email
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                > cable ties as corset
                > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                > steel bones, could
                > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                > and made the
                > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                > dryable in
                > machines!!!

                This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                comfortable.

                Becky

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • judycat@prodigy.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                  >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                  >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

                  What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does the
                  hose look like????

                  Judy
                • Becky's naked email
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                    --- judycat@... wrote:
                    > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                    > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                    >
                    > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                    > the
                    > hose look like????
                    >
                    > Judy

                    Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                    conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                    cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                    that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100 feet.
                    I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                    rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                    break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                    solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                    out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                    halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                    Worked fine.

                    Becky

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • Stacey Dunleavy
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                      --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                      > --- judycat@... wrote:
                      > > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset
                      > and
                      > > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                      > >
                      > > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                      > > the
                      > > hose look like????
                      > >
                      > > Judy
                      > >

                      > Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                      > conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                      > cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                      > that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100
                      > feet.
                      > I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                      > rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                      > break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                      > solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                      > out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                      > halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                      > Worked fine.
                      >
                      > Becky

                      > http://personals.yahoo.com

                      Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                      Also, what department would carry it?

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Becky's naked email
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                        > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                        >
                        > Also, what department would carry it?

                        I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                        Just head for the home heating and cooling section and
                        ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                        comes in three colors, black, copper and natural...if
                        that matters. You have to create a bit more room for
                        pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                        notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.

                        I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                        material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                        lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                        coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                        stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.

                        Becky

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • Stacey Dunleavy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                          I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                          own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                          thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                          colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                          and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                          any other substitute ideas?

                          Thanks.

                          --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                          > > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                          > stuff?
                          > >
                          > > Also, what department would carry it?
                          >

                          > I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                          > Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                          > and
                          > ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                          > comes in three colors, black, copper and
                          > natural...if
                          > that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                          > for
                          > pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                          > notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                          >
                          > I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                          > material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                          > lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                          > coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                          > stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                          >

                          > Becky

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • theresa b
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                            all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I have an order! I am
                            supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a little girl (about 12)
                            for a dance concert. The boning needs to be flexible. I was going to use
                            spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but this swamp cooler hose
                            idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance, is it and where can i
                            find it?

                            titi

                            I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

                            >From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
                            >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                            >Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:17 -0800 (PST)
                            >

                            > > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                            > > cable ties as corset
                            > > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                            > > steel bones, could
                            > > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                            > > and made the
                            > > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                            > > dryable in
                            > > machines!!!
                            >
                            >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                            >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                            >roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                            >and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                            >comfortable.
                            >
                            >Becky

                          • Ann Ford
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                              We use boot laces, or you can order corset lacing in white from Richard the
                              Thread, but they have a pretty heafty minumum yardage.
                              Ann

                              ----------
                              >From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>
                              >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                              >Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2001, 10:34 AM
                              >

                              > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                              > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                              > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                              > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                              > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                              > any other substitute ideas?
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >

                              > --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >> > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                              >> stuff?
                              >> >
                              >> > Also, what department would carry it?
                              >>

                              >> I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                              >> Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                              >> and
                              >> ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                              >> comes in three colors, black, copper and
                              >> natural...if
                              >> that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                              >> for
                              >> pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                              >> notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                              >>
                              >> I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                              >> material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                              >> lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                              >> coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                              >> stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                              >>

                              >> Becky

                            • Becky's naked email
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                --- theresa b <trinithree@...> wrote:
                                > all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I
                                > have an order! I am
                                > supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a
                                > little girl (about 12)
                                > for a dance concert. The boning needs to be
                                > flexible. I was going to use
                                > spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but
                                > this swamp cooler hose
                                > idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance,
                                > is it and where can i
                                > find it?
                                >
                                > titi

                                TiTi

                                Go to a hardware store, in the heating and cooling
                                section and ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing.

                                You have to remember that this stuff isn't flat, it is
                                a tube, so if you are going for a really skimpy look
                                instead of a bulkier upholstery fabric like corset,
                                this probably isn't for you. Plastic ties, like Tara
                                suggested, are flatter.

                                I love Home Depot! Just walking around there gives me
                                ideas!

                                Becky

                                http://personals.yahoo.com
                              • Kate Bunting
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                  In a pinch, I once used ice skate laces. For bi-directional lacing,
                                  one from the top, one from the bottom, ties in the middle, they
                                  worked pretty well. Granted, I *do* have more than one pair of
                                  figure skates around from my former life as an athlete. I've bought
                                  them, since, in lengths of 100", 108", 112", and 120". Places like
                                  Alter Years sell 3 yard and 5 yard lengths; for reference, 3 yards is
                                  108". ;)

                                  They're *darn* sturdy, and with some looking can be found in cotton
                                  (no slipping), or nylon (careful with knots, they're hard to get out).

                                  Anyone else tried this?

                                  ~ Kate

                                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@y...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                  > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                  > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                  > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                  > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                  > any other substitute ideas?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.
                                • Stacey Dunleavy
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                    Boot laces and skate laces are fine and well if I'm
                                    making one in just black or white, but what about
                                    other colors? Also what about pricing?

                                    http://personals.yahoo.com