Re: Corset Advice?

  • Kate Bunting
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
      You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
      *wear* it... Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
      sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
      on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
      they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
      minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

      I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly. Rowe, if you're paying
      that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
      off. :\ Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
      less than that. *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
      $300-$400 range. I've personally interacted with

      Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
      http://www.lechatexotique.com/

      Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
      http://www.bruteforceleather.com

      Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
      http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

      and Puimond, in Toronto
      http://www.puimond.com

      (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale... :) )

      A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
      http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

      While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
      compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

      http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

      BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
      about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
      months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
      suggestions. I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
      I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
      links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
      me, with the relevant information.

      Hope this helps! My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
      (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
      ready-made items a while back).

      Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

      ~ kate

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
      > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
      dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
      run about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
      measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
      neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

      > Rowe

      > Or, if making one could prove
      > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > BuffyX
    • Rowenna
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
        <G> yes, I have checked out those sites for design ideas too.  The estimate I quoted was on a site I found a few months ago that did specifically Moulin Rouge corsets.  I went hunting for it again last night and could not find it.  These were just gorgeous corsets, though...so voluptuous and heady!  The fabrics were just incredible and the styles really were like the ones in the film.  Also, because of the odd measurements, I know making a corset for this lady would be a little tricky.  A bust that much bigger than the waist will call for some inventive boning placement to prevent puckering and strain/tearing of the fabric.  I would agree though that generally your estimate is more general.  Have you seen the corsets at www.yosa.com ?  Those are really stunning.

        Rowenna

        You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
        *wear* it...  Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
        sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
        on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
        they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
        minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

        I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly.  Rowe, if you're paying
        that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
        off.  :\  Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
        less than that.  *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
        $300-$400 range.  I've personally interacted with

        Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
        http://www.lechatexotique.com/

        Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
        http://www.bruteforceleather.com

        Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
        http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

        and Puimond, in Toronto
        http://www.puimond.com

        (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale...  :) )

        A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
        http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

        While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
        compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

        http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

        BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
        about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
        months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
        suggestions.  I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
        I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
        links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
        me, with the relevant information.

        Hope this helps!  My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
        (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
        ready-made items a while back).

        Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

        ~ kate

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
        > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
        dream.  Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
        run about $20 each.  Stays are also pretty pricey.  Because of your
        measurements you will need one custom made.  Expect to pay in the
        neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

        > Rowe

        >   Or, if making one could prove
        >   troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
        >
        >   Thanks.
        >
        >   BuffyX

      • Dana Koga
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
          Have you checked out Dark Garden? Their website is www.darkgarden.com
          My friend and I met the owner at a period event. The owner and two of her
          friends were wearing Dark Garden creations, which were gorgeous and very
          unique. Their store is in San Francisco but according to their website,
          they can also assist buyers outside of the area; you'd just have to send
          them your measurements as specified and they'll send you a mock up of what
          the corset will look like. I would guess that it will cost you minimum
          $300-400 as the off-the-rack styles are quoted at $150. But it wouldn't
          hurt to make inquiries and get a quote. Check them out.
        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001

            > I'm looking into making a corset, but usual store
            > patterns come out a little weird for my proportions
            > (43-30-38, not kidding) and so I'm reluctant to go
            > that route. What I want to do is create a costume much
            > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red dress
            > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
            > I've found comes close. Does anyone have any
            > suggestions for me? Or, if making one could prove
            > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > BuffyX

            If you want to buy a really cool corset, go to ebay and
            either search for 'red corset' or whatever other color you
            want. A seller named youlookhot.com has corsets up all the
            time, so you could also search by seller. Two of my
            friends and I got corsets from her, and they are wonderful,
            though possibly not exactly what you are looking for. Good
            luck! I'll look for one and link it to you if I can.

            Jessie (who is going to have a website soon - whee!)

            =====
            - - - - - - - - - -

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Angel
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
              In article <20011115002533.65136.qmail@...>,
              Marianna Roberg <buffy-x@...> writes
              > Or, if making one could prove
              >troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?

              A few of my friends have bought corsets from Gallery Serpentine in
              Australia. Their stuff looks good and is pretty well made from what
              I've seen. It isn't suitable for serious tight lacing but its properly
              boned I think so good for a few inches of waist reduction.
              www.galleryserpentine.com.au

              As its an Australian site the prices are in Australian Dollars but I
              think some of them work out in the region of $100 US or so including
              shipping.

              Hope this helps :)

              lauren
              --
              aka {wanton^angel^}ML :: ROISSY WORKSHOPS LTD ::
              Design and Manufacture of Bespoke, Industrial Strength, Professional BDSM
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                If you have NOT got a time frame that is very tight, you can get very
                good corsets much cheaper than $600 from Australia, but not under
                $100. Gallery Serpentine
                http://www.nightmachines.com/serpentine/corsets.html does custom
                orders, in a variety of styles from $230 in Australian dollars which
                are about fifty cents US, that is, the total is around $115. These
                are proper corsets, not Frederick's "lingerie" type ones. Leather
                corsets cost more, but satin, brocade and vinyl are affordable ,
                custom made at this rate. Standard sizes, even large sizes that they
                carry are even less, in some cases under $100 in US dollars.

                Here at UAF we have had great luck using the duct tape method of
                making boned bodice patterns
                http://www.100megspop3.com/waistedminds/aris.html and adapting them to
                generate corset patterns. We find this works really well for odd
                figure shapes.

                We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic cable ties as corset
                bones, and found they were just as effective as steel bones, could
                easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset, and made the
                corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND dryable in
                machines!!! We did a group of four cotton corsets for Earnest last
                year (based on the Laughing Moon pattern) that have held up great, and
                were considered quite comfortable by our actors.

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
                > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
                dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves run
                about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
                measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
                neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.
              • Becky's naked email
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                  > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                  > cable ties as corset
                  > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                  > steel bones, could
                  > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                  > and made the
                  > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                  > dryable in
                  > machines!!!

                  This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                  used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                  roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                  and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                  comfortable.

                  Becky

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • judycat@prodigy.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                    >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                    >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

                    What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does the
                    hose look like????

                    Judy
                  • Becky's naked email
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                      --- judycat@... wrote:
                      > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                      > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                      >
                      > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                      > the
                      > hose look like????
                      >
                      > Judy

                      Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                      conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                      cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                      that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100 feet.
                      I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                      rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                      break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                      solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                      out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                      halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                      Worked fine.

                      Becky

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Stacey Dunleavy
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                        --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                        > --- judycat@... wrote:
                        > > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset
                        > and
                        > > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                        > >
                        > > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                        > > the
                        > > hose look like????
                        > >
                        > > Judy
                        > >

                        > Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                        > conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                        > cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                        > that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100
                        > feet.
                        > I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                        > rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                        > break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                        > solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                        > out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                        > halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                        > Worked fine.
                        >
                        > Becky

                        > http://personals.yahoo.com

                        Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                        Also, what department would carry it?

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • Becky's naked email
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                          > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                          >
                          > Also, what department would carry it?

                          I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                          Just head for the home heating and cooling section and
                          ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                          comes in three colors, black, copper and natural...if
                          that matters. You have to create a bit more room for
                          pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                          notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.

                          I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                          material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                          lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                          coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                          stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.

                          Becky

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • Stacey Dunleavy
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                            I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                            own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                            thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                            colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                            and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                            any other substitute ideas?

                            Thanks.

                            --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                            > > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                            > stuff?
                            > >
                            > > Also, what department would carry it?
                            >

                            > I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                            > Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                            > and
                            > ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                            > comes in three colors, black, copper and
                            > natural...if
                            > that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                            > for
                            > pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                            > notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                            >
                            > I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                            > material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                            > lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                            > coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                            > stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                            >

                            > Becky

                            http://personals.yahoo.com
                          • theresa b
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                              all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I have an order! I am
                              supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a little girl (about 12)
                              for a dance concert. The boning needs to be flexible. I was going to use
                              spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but this swamp cooler hose
                              idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance, is it and where can i
                              find it?

                              titi

                              I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

                              >From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
                              >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                              >Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:17 -0800 (PST)
                              >

                              > > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                              > > cable ties as corset
                              > > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                              > > steel bones, could
                              > > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                              > > and made the
                              > > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                              > > dryable in
                              > > machines!!!
                              >
                              >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                              >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                              >roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                              >and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                              >comfortable.
                              >
                              >Becky

                            • Ann Ford
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                We use boot laces, or you can order corset lacing in white from Richard the
                                Thread, but they have a pretty heafty minumum yardage.
                                Ann

                                ----------
                                >From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>
                                >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                                >Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2001, 10:34 AM
                                >

                                > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                > any other substitute ideas?
                                >
                                > Thanks.
                                >

                                > --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:
                                >>

                                >> > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                                >> stuff?
                                >> >
                                >> > Also, what department would carry it?
                                >>

                                >> I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                                >> Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                                >> and
                                >> ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                                >> comes in three colors, black, copper and
                                >> natural...if
                                >> that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                                >> for
                                >> pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                                >> notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                                >>
                                >> I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                                >> material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                                >> lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                                >> coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                                >> stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                                >>

                                >> Becky

                              • Becky's naked email
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                  --- theresa b <trinithree@...> wrote:
                                  > all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I
                                  > have an order! I am
                                  > supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a
                                  > little girl (about 12)
                                  > for a dance concert. The boning needs to be
                                  > flexible. I was going to use
                                  > spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but
                                  > this swamp cooler hose
                                  > idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance,
                                  > is it and where can i
                                  > find it?
                                  >
                                  > titi

                                  TiTi

                                  Go to a hardware store, in the heating and cooling
                                  section and ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing.

                                  You have to remember that this stuff isn't flat, it is
                                  a tube, so if you are going for a really skimpy look
                                  instead of a bulkier upholstery fabric like corset,
                                  this probably isn't for you. Plastic ties, like Tara
                                  suggested, are flatter.

                                  I love Home Depot! Just walking around there gives me
                                  ideas!

                                  Becky

                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                • Kate Bunting
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                    In a pinch, I once used ice skate laces. For bi-directional lacing,
                                    one from the top, one from the bottom, ties in the middle, they
                                    worked pretty well. Granted, I *do* have more than one pair of
                                    figure skates around from my former life as an athlete. I've bought
                                    them, since, in lengths of 100", 108", 112", and 120". Places like
                                    Alter Years sell 3 yard and 5 yard lengths; for reference, 3 yards is
                                    108". ;)

                                    They're *darn* sturdy, and with some looking can be found in cotton
                                    (no slipping), or nylon (careful with knots, they're hard to get out).

                                    Anyone else tried this?

                                    ~ Kate

                                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@y...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                    > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                    > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                    > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                    > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                    > any other substitute ideas?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.
                                  • Stacey Dunleavy
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                      Boot laces and skate laces are fine and well if I'm
                                      making one in just black or white, but what about
                                      other colors? Also what about pricing?

                                      http://personals.yahoo.com