Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Corset Advice?

  • yum-yi
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
      >What I want to do is create a costume
      > much
      > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red
      > dress
      > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
      > I've found comes close.

      Do you happen to have a URL for a picture of the
      costume?
      Finding a corset for under 100$ is pretty unlikely...
      Lingerie stores might have something (off the rack of
      course).. i have found them for about 130$ canadian. I
      guess it depends what you want the costume for... just
      for fun.. or other reasons.

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Kate Bunting
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
        You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
        *wear* it... Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
        sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
        on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
        they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
        minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

        I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly. Rowe, if you're paying
        that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
        off. :\ Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
        less than that. *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
        $300-$400 range. I've personally interacted with

        Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
        http://www.lechatexotique.com/

        Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
        http://www.bruteforceleather.com

        Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
        http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

        and Puimond, in Toronto
        http://www.puimond.com

        (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale... :) )

        A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
        http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

        While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
        compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

        http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

        BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
        about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
        months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
        suggestions. I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
        I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
        links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
        me, with the relevant information.

        Hope this helps! My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
        (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
        ready-made items a while back).

        Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

        ~ kate

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
        > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
        dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
        run about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
        measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
        neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

        > Rowe

        > Or, if making one could prove
        > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > BuffyX
      • Rowenna
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
          <G> yes, I have checked out those sites for design ideas too.  The estimate I quoted was on a site I found a few months ago that did specifically Moulin Rouge corsets.  I went hunting for it again last night and could not find it.  These were just gorgeous corsets, though...so voluptuous and heady!  The fabrics were just incredible and the styles really were like the ones in the film.  Also, because of the odd measurements, I know making a corset for this lady would be a little tricky.  A bust that much bigger than the waist will call for some inventive boning placement to prevent puckering and strain/tearing of the fabric.  I would agree though that generally your estimate is more general.  Have you seen the corsets at www.yosa.com ?  Those are really stunning.

          Rowenna

          You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
          *wear* it...  Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
          sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
          on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
          they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
          minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

          I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly.  Rowe, if you're paying
          that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
          off.  :\  Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
          less than that.  *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
          $300-$400 range.  I've personally interacted with

          Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
          http://www.lechatexotique.com/

          Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
          http://www.bruteforceleather.com

          Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
          http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

          and Puimond, in Toronto
          http://www.puimond.com

          (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale...  :) )

          A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
          http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

          While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
          compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

          http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

          BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
          about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
          months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
          suggestions.  I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
          I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
          links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
          me, with the relevant information.

          Hope this helps!  My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
          (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
          ready-made items a while back).

          Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

          ~ kate

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
          > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
          dream.  Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
          run about $20 each.  Stays are also pretty pricey.  Because of your
          measurements you will need one custom made.  Expect to pay in the
          neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

          > Rowe

          >   Or, if making one could prove
          >   troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
          >
          >   Thanks.
          >
          >   BuffyX

        • Dana Koga
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
            Have you checked out Dark Garden? Their website is www.darkgarden.com
            My friend and I met the owner at a period event. The owner and two of her
            friends were wearing Dark Garden creations, which were gorgeous and very
            unique. Their store is in San Francisco but according to their website,
            they can also assist buyers outside of the area; you'd just have to send
            them your measurements as specified and they'll send you a mock up of what
            the corset will look like. I would guess that it will cost you minimum
            $300-400 as the off-the-rack styles are quoted at $150. But it wouldn't
            hurt to make inquiries and get a quote. Check them out.
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001

              > I'm looking into making a corset, but usual store
              > patterns come out a little weird for my proportions
              > (43-30-38, not kidding) and so I'm reluctant to go
              > that route. What I want to do is create a costume much
              > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red dress
              > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
              > I've found comes close. Does anyone have any
              > suggestions for me? Or, if making one could prove
              > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > BuffyX

              If you want to buy a really cool corset, go to ebay and
              either search for 'red corset' or whatever other color you
              want. A seller named youlookhot.com has corsets up all the
              time, so you could also search by seller. Two of my
              friends and I got corsets from her, and they are wonderful,
              though possibly not exactly what you are looking for. Good
              luck! I'll look for one and link it to you if I can.

              Jessie (who is going to have a website soon - whee!)

              =====
              - - - - - - - - - -

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • Angel
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
                In article <20011115002533.65136.qmail@...>,
                Marianna Roberg <buffy-x@...> writes
                > Or, if making one could prove
                >troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?

                A few of my friends have bought corsets from Gallery Serpentine in
                Australia. Their stuff looks good and is pretty well made from what
                I've seen. It isn't suitable for serious tight lacing but its properly
                boned I think so good for a few inches of waist reduction.
                www.galleryserpentine.com.au

                As its an Australian site the prices are in Australian Dollars but I
                think some of them work out in the region of $100 US or so including
                shipping.

                Hope this helps :)

                lauren
                --
                aka {wanton^angel^}ML :: ROISSY WORKSHOPS LTD ::
                Design and Manufacture of Bespoke, Industrial Strength, Professional BDSM
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                  If you have NOT got a time frame that is very tight, you can get very
                  good corsets much cheaper than $600 from Australia, but not under
                  $100. Gallery Serpentine
                  http://www.nightmachines.com/serpentine/corsets.html does custom
                  orders, in a variety of styles from $230 in Australian dollars which
                  are about fifty cents US, that is, the total is around $115. These
                  are proper corsets, not Frederick's "lingerie" type ones. Leather
                  corsets cost more, but satin, brocade and vinyl are affordable ,
                  custom made at this rate. Standard sizes, even large sizes that they
                  carry are even less, in some cases under $100 in US dollars.

                  Here at UAF we have had great luck using the duct tape method of
                  making boned bodice patterns
                  http://www.100megspop3.com/waistedminds/aris.html and adapting them to
                  generate corset patterns. We find this works really well for odd
                  figure shapes.

                  We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic cable ties as corset
                  bones, and found they were just as effective as steel bones, could
                  easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset, and made the
                  corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND dryable in
                  machines!!! We did a group of four cotton corsets for Earnest last
                  year (based on the Laughing Moon pattern) that have held up great, and
                  were considered quite comfortable by our actors.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
                  > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
                  dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves run
                  about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
                  measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
                  neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.
                • Becky's naked email
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                    > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                    > cable ties as corset
                    > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                    > steel bones, could
                    > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                    > and made the
                    > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                    > dryable in
                    > machines!!!

                    This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                    used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                    roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                    and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                    comfortable.

                    Becky

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • judycat@prodigy.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                      >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                      >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

                      What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does the
                      hose look like????

                      Judy
                    • Becky's naked email
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                        --- judycat@... wrote:
                        > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                        > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                        >
                        > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                        > the
                        > hose look like????
                        >
                        > Judy

                        Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                        conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                        cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                        that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100 feet.
                        I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                        rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                        break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                        solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                        out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                        halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                        Worked fine.

                        Becky

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • Stacey Dunleavy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                          --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                          > --- judycat@... wrote:
                          > > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset
                          > and
                          > > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                          > >
                          > > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                          > > the
                          > > hose look like????
                          > >
                          > > Judy
                          > >

                          > Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                          > conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                          > cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                          > that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100
                          > feet.
                          > I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                          > rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                          > break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                          > solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                          > out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                          > halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                          > Worked fine.
                          >
                          > Becky

                          > http://personals.yahoo.com

                          Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                          Also, what department would carry it?

                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                        • Becky's naked email
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                            > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                            >
                            > Also, what department would carry it?

                            I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                            Just head for the home heating and cooling section and
                            ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                            comes in three colors, black, copper and natural...if
                            that matters. You have to create a bit more room for
                            pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                            notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.

                            I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                            material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                            lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                            coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                            stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.

                            Becky

                            http://personals.yahoo.com
                          • Stacey Dunleavy
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                              I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                              own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                              thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                              colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                              and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                              any other substitute ideas?

                              Thanks.

                              --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                              > > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                              > stuff?
                              > >
                              > > Also, what department would carry it?
                              >

                              > I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                              > Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                              > and
                              > ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                              > comes in three colors, black, copper and
                              > natural...if
                              > that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                              > for
                              > pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                              > notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                              >
                              > I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                              > material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                              > lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                              > coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                              > stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                              >

                              > Becky

                              http://personals.yahoo.com
                            • theresa b
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I have an order! I am
                                supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a little girl (about 12)
                                for a dance concert. The boning needs to be flexible. I was going to use
                                spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but this swamp cooler hose
                                idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance, is it and where can i
                                find it?

                                titi

                                I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

                                >From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
                                >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                                >Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:17 -0800 (PST)
                                >

                                > > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                                > > cable ties as corset
                                > > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                                > > steel bones, could
                                > > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                                > > and made the
                                > > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                                > > dryable in
                                > > machines!!!
                                >
                                >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                                >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                                >roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                                >and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                                >comfortable.
                                >
                                >Becky

                              • Ann Ford
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                  We use boot laces, or you can order corset lacing in white from Richard the
                                  Thread, but they have a pretty heafty minumum yardage.
                                  Ann

                                  ----------
                                  >From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>
                                  >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                                  >Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2001, 10:34 AM
                                  >

                                  > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                  > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                  > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                  > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                  > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                  > any other substitute ideas?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.
                                  >

                                  > --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                                  >> stuff?
                                  >> >
                                  >> > Also, what department would carry it?
                                  >>

                                  >> I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                                  >> Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                                  >> and
                                  >> ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                                  >> comes in three colors, black, copper and
                                  >> natural...if
                                  >> that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                                  >> for
                                  >> pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                                  >> notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                                  >>
                                  >> I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                                  >> material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                                  >> lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                                  >> coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                                  >> stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                                  >>

                                  >> Becky

                                • Becky's naked email
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                    --- theresa b <trinithree@...> wrote:
                                    > all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I
                                    > have an order! I am
                                    > supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a
                                    > little girl (about 12)
                                    > for a dance concert. The boning needs to be
                                    > flexible. I was going to use
                                    > spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but
                                    > this swamp cooler hose
                                    > idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance,
                                    > is it and where can i
                                    > find it?
                                    >
                                    > titi

                                    TiTi

                                    Go to a hardware store, in the heating and cooling
                                    section and ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing.

                                    You have to remember that this stuff isn't flat, it is
                                    a tube, so if you are going for a really skimpy look
                                    instead of a bulkier upholstery fabric like corset,
                                    this probably isn't for you. Plastic ties, like Tara
                                    suggested, are flatter.

                                    I love Home Depot! Just walking around there gives me
                                    ideas!

                                    Becky

                                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                                  • Kate Bunting
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                      In a pinch, I once used ice skate laces. For bi-directional lacing,
                                      one from the top, one from the bottom, ties in the middle, they
                                      worked pretty well. Granted, I *do* have more than one pair of
                                      figure skates around from my former life as an athlete. I've bought
                                      them, since, in lengths of 100", 108", 112", and 120". Places like
                                      Alter Years sell 3 yard and 5 yard lengths; for reference, 3 yards is
                                      108". ;)

                                      They're *darn* sturdy, and with some looking can be found in cotton
                                      (no slipping), or nylon (careful with knots, they're hard to get out).

                                      Anyone else tried this?

                                      ~ Kate

                                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                      > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                      > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                      > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                      > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                      > any other substitute ideas?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.
                                    • Stacey Dunleavy
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                        Boot laces and skate laces are fine and well if I'm
                                        making one in just black or white, but what about
                                        other colors? Also what about pricing?

                                        http://personals.yahoo.com