  • Renee Schmutz
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2004
      You wrote:
      "I was at the Museum of Natural History in NYC many years ago and they
      had images of Chinese women with this awesome pig tail hair style."

      Do you mean a hair style kinda along the lines of Queen Amadala in the
      first of the new star wars films?

      If so, I think I have some info on how the Mongolians did just precisely
      those styles, and I could see about digging it out and putting it up here if
      it would help. There was a lot of stylistic sharing going on between the
      Mongols and the Chinese at that point and time, so it would probably be
      similar concepts.

      Renee
    • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2004
        Yes reneee.. I do beleiev you have it, and the images form crouching tiger I am going to check out. I do believe that is the key.. If you would be so kind.
        How could I ever repay you?????
        julie
        "I was at the Museum of Natural History in NYC many years ago and they
        had images of Chinese women with this awesome pig tail hair style."

        Do you mean a hair style kinda along the lines of Queen Amadala in the
        first of the new star wars films?

        If so, I think I have some info on how the Mongolians did just precisely
        those styles, and I could see about digging it out and putting it up here if
        it would help. There was a lot of stylistic sharing going on between the
        Mongols and the Chinese at that point and time, so it would probably be
        similar concepts.

        Renee

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2004
          Thank you reneee.. The inormation you provided set me in motion!
          found a website, tara sould post it, on the cultures and cosumes of theMPR( mongolian people replublic)
          I found four cultures that were what I was looking for!
          the hand puppet came out beautiful, I even got a face for an iron on transfer!
          julie

          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2004
            Hey cool! I'm glad I was able to help a little :)

            Truth be told, I've been trying to figure out how to do the same style with
            my real hair for a few years now, so that I could do a full out mongol
            outfit. (a blond mongol..hmmm)

            You should post some pic's of the puppet!

            Renee

            > Thank you reneee.. The inormation you provided set me in motion!
            > found a website, tara sould post it, on the cultures and cosumes of
            theMPR( mongolian people replublic)
            > I found four cultures that were what I was looking for!
            > the hand puppet came out beautiful, I even got a face for an iron on
            transfer!
            > julie
          • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2004
              I could do that!
              I cheated. I make felt hair sewn on. Aside form the center section that lookd out of place for the puppet, she has the beaded fringe on te sides, and 3 gold bands!
              julie

              > Thank you reneee.. The inormation you provided set me in motion!
              > found a website, tara sould post it, on the cultures and cosumes of
              theMPR( mongolian people replublic)
              > I found four cultures that were what I was looking for!
              > the hand puppet came out beautiful, I even got a face for an iron on
              transfer!
              > julie

            • Heidi Kaye
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2004
                I was hoping that someone knows of a good pattern for a Regency man's
                tailcoat that has reasonable instructions and modern sizing. The commercial
                companies and my trawl through all the smaller companies I know of via the
                web has turned up virtually nothing, which surprised me, since I'd have
                thought it would be a popular period to sew costumes for given how many
                Regency women's gown patterns there are out there.

                I think I can find patterns for decent waistcoats and fall breeches that
                would go with a tailcoat, but the tailcoat itself is elusive. However, if
                anyone knows of particularly good or accurate patterns that would match the
                period, then I'd be grateful to hear about them. As this is not for
                recreationist or theatrical wear, historical accuracy isn't that important;
                I'd prefer something that has good clear instructions and isn't too
                difficult to construct as I am an amateur and only semi-experienced maker of
                costumes.

                About the only thing I've found is a pattern by Patterns of Time RH 201
                (also a frockcoat WN 212), but I've never used any of theirs so don't know
                how easy it might be to follow. Butterick have a Victorian frockcoat 3648
                which I suppose I could adapt, but it's really more Dickensian than Regency
                in style.

                Thanks for any help or advice you can give (and apologies to anyone who
                receives this twice)!

                Best wishes,
                Heidi
                ---

              • serenpoly
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2004
                  I am particularly fond of the Jean Hardy equestrian Shadbelly Jacket
                  pattern, which goes together _so_ easily. One of the best patterns
                  I've ever worked with, it's actually for a modern riding jacket, but
                  has the straight double-breasted front and tails and looks fine for
                  Regency. Leave off the little 'vest points' and line the tails in
                  cloth instead of leather. (I also used the pattern for circus
                  ringmasters, and lined the tails in sequins; it didn't show nearly as
                  well as I had hoped, but it was fun. 8-)

                  Alter Years has another couple of patterns that they recommend for
                  Regency gentlemen, which are cheaper to buy. I've had such good luck
                  with Jean Hardy I've never tried them. You might give AY an e-mail;
                  they're moving their b&m store (the old building is being torn down),
                  and I don't know if they're back to full service yet.

                  sales@...

                  The rest of these are from web searchs; I've never used them. Winego
                  has an 1830's tail coat that would also do:

                  http://www.wingeo.com/patterns/300series/patrn325.jpg

                  and this page has an 1812 waistcoat, a tailcoat with no waist seam
                  (from the illustration) and some other stuff:

                  http://sewing.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%
                  2Fwww.patternsoftime.com%2F

                  and Smoke and Fire has the Rockinghorse Farm one

                  http://www.smoke-fire.com/rocking-horse-farm-patterns-1.asp

                  There are others out there; start with the Patterns links on Tara's
                  site:

                  http://www.costumes.org/ADVICE/1pages/pattern_links.htm

                  HTH

                  -- Emc^2

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Heidi Kaye"
                  <heidikaye@b...> wrote:
                  > I was hoping that someone knows of a good pattern for a Regency
                  man's
                  > tailcoat that has reasonable instructions and modern sizing. The
                  commercial
                  > companies and my trawl through all the smaller companies I know of
                  via the
                  > web has turned up virtually nothing, which surprised me, since I'd
                  have
                  > thought it would be a popular period to sew costumes for given how
                  many
                  > Regency women's gown patterns there are out there.

                  << snip >>