Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Corset Advice?

  • Rowenna
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
      If you go to Tara's site there is a link under her free stuff page that will take you to a corset pattern generator.

      Rowenna

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
        ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe dream.  Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves run about $20 each.  Stays are also pretty pricey.  Because of your measurements you will need one custom made.  Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

        Rowe

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
          >What I want to do is create a costume
          > much
          > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red
          > dress
          > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
          > I've found comes close.

          Do you happen to have a URL for a picture of the
          costume?
          Finding a corset for under 100$ is pretty unlikely...
          Lingerie stores might have something (off the rack of
          course).. i have found them for about 130$ canadian. I
          guess it depends what you want the costume for... just
          for fun.. or other reasons.

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Kate Bunting
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
            You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
            *wear* it... Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
            sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
            on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
            they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
            minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

            I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly. Rowe, if you're paying
            that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
            off. :\ Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
            less than that. *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
            $300-$400 range. I've personally interacted with

            Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
            http://www.lechatexotique.com/

            Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
            http://www.bruteforceleather.com

            Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
            http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

            and Puimond, in Toronto
            http://www.puimond.com

            (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale... :) )

            A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
            http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

            While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
            compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

            http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

            BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
            about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
            months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
            suggestions. I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
            I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
            links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
            me, with the relevant information.

            Hope this helps! My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
            (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
            ready-made items a while back).

            Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

            ~ kate

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
            > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
            dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
            run about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
            measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
            neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

            > Rowe

            > Or, if making one could prove
            > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > BuffyX
          • Rowenna
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
              <G> yes, I have checked out those sites for design ideas too.  The estimate I quoted was on a site I found a few months ago that did specifically Moulin Rouge corsets.  I went hunting for it again last night and could not find it.  These were just gorgeous corsets, though...so voluptuous and heady!  The fabrics were just incredible and the styles really were like the ones in the film.  Also, because of the odd measurements, I know making a corset for this lady would be a little tricky.  A bust that much bigger than the waist will call for some inventive boning placement to prevent puckering and strain/tearing of the fabric.  I would agree though that generally your estimate is more general.  Have you seen the corsets at www.yosa.com ?  Those are really stunning.

              Rowenna

              You can *find* a corset for under $100, but then you might have to
              *wear* it...  Frederick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret both
              sell corset-like garments, but I'm going to refrain from commenting
              on the quality and desirability of those garments, except to say that
              they're *not* intended to do anything but look pretty for ten
              minutes, then end up on the bedroom floor.

              I'd disagree with the $600 estimate, frankly.  Rowe, if you're paying
              that for anything but leather, I hope you're not getting ripped
              off.  :\  Several corsetieres with whom I've dealt do custom work for
              less than that.  *However,* it's not "much" less-- usually in the
              $300-$400 range.  I've personally interacted with

              Le Chateau Exotique, in New Hope, PA
              http://www.lechatexotique.com/

              Fallen Angel Fashions, through Brute Force Leather & Lace
              http://www.bruteforceleather.com

              Delicious Corsets, also in New Hope, PA
              http://www.delicoiuscorsets.com/

              and Puimond, in Toronto
              http://www.puimond.com

              (Yes, this reveals my East-Coast locale...  :) )

              A friend of mine has had positive experience with Meschantes
              http://www.meschantes.com , who also vends on eBay.

              While the Corset Web Ring maintains a list of vendors, I've tried to
              compile some of 'em on my costuming pages:

              http://www.wharf.com/ariel/Corsetry.htm#Corsetry

              BTW, if anyone has additions, or finds broken links, or comments
              about info. on that page, I'm fixin' to update it in the coming
              months, and welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and
              suggestions.  I'm eventually going to get more pictures of costumes
              I've made posted (yah, sure, someday!), but am always happy to add
              links of businesses of folks who subscribe to lists here, just email
              me, with the relevant information.

              Hope this helps!  My page also has some crinoline/petticoat links
              (all of this got started when I got frustrated trying to shop for
              ready-made items a while back).

              Good luck, Buffy-- keep us posted on how it goes!

              ~ kate

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
              > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
              dream.  Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves
              run about $20 each.  Stays are also pretty pricey.  Because of your
              measurements you will need one custom made.  Expect to pay in the
              neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.

              > Rowe

              >   Or, if making one could prove
              >   troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
              >
              >   Thanks.
              >
              >   BuffyX

            • Dana Koga
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
                Have you checked out Dark Garden? Their website is www.darkgarden.com
                My friend and I met the owner at a period event. The owner and two of her
                friends were wearing Dark Garden creations, which were gorgeous and very
                unique. Their store is in San Francisco but according to their website,
                they can also assist buyers outside of the area; you'd just have to send
                them your measurements as specified and they'll send you a mock up of what
                the corset will look like. I would guess that it will cost you minimum
                $300-400 as the off-the-rack styles are quoted at $150. But it wouldn't
                hurt to make inquiries and get a quote. Check them out.
              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001

                  > I'm looking into making a corset, but usual store
                  > patterns come out a little weird for my proportions
                  > (43-30-38, not kidding) and so I'm reluctant to go
                  > that route. What I want to do is create a costume much
                  > like Nicole Kidman's in "Moulin Rouge", the red dress
                  > she wears during the "Elephant Medley", but nothing
                  > I've found comes close. Does anyone have any
                  > suggestions for me? Or, if making one could prove
                  > troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > BuffyX

                  If you want to buy a really cool corset, go to ebay and
                  either search for 'red corset' or whatever other color you
                  want. A seller named youlookhot.com has corsets up all the
                  time, so you could also search by seller. Two of my
                  friends and I got corsets from her, and they are wonderful,
                  though possibly not exactly what you are looking for. Good
                  luck! I'll look for one and link it to you if I can.

                  Jessie (who is going to have a website soon - whee!)

                  =====
                  - - - - - - - - - -

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Angel
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 15, 2001
                    In article <20011115002533.65136.qmail@...>,
                    Marianna Roberg <buffy-x@...> writes
                    > Or, if making one could prove
                    >troublesome, where can I get a corset for under $100?

                    A few of my friends have bought corsets from Gallery Serpentine in
                    Australia. Their stuff looks good and is pretty well made from what
                    I've seen. It isn't suitable for serious tight lacing but its properly
                    boned I think so good for a few inches of waist reduction.
                    www.galleryserpentine.com.au

                    As its an Australian site the prices are in Australian Dollars but I
                    think some of them work out in the region of $100 US or so including
                    shipping.

                    Hope this helps :)

                    lauren
                    --
                    aka {wanton^angel^}ML :: ROISSY WORKSHOPS LTD ::
                    Design and Manufacture of Bespoke, Industrial Strength, Professional BDSM
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                      If you have NOT got a time frame that is very tight, you can get very
                      good corsets much cheaper than $600 from Australia, but not under
                      $100. Gallery Serpentine
                      http://www.nightmachines.com/serpentine/corsets.html does custom
                      orders, in a variety of styles from $230 in Australian dollars which
                      are about fifty cents US, that is, the total is around $115. These
                      are proper corsets, not Frederick's "lingerie" type ones. Leather
                      corsets cost more, but satin, brocade and vinyl are affordable ,
                      custom made at this rate. Standard sizes, even large sizes that they
                      carry are even less, in some cases under $100 in US dollars.

                      Here at UAF we have had great luck using the duct tape method of
                      making boned bodice patterns
                      http://www.100megspop3.com/waistedminds/aris.html and adapting them to
                      generate corset patterns. We find this works really well for odd
                      figure shapes.

                      We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic cable ties as corset
                      bones, and found they were just as effective as steel bones, could
                      easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset, and made the
                      corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND dryable in
                      machines!!! We did a group of four cotton corsets for Earnest last
                      year (based on the Laughing Moon pattern) that have held up great, and
                      were considered quite comfortable by our actors.

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "Rowenna" <brigidsgirl@h...> wrote:
                      > ps...finding a corset like you want under $100 is frankly a pipe
                      dream. Corsets are very labour intensive and the busks themselves run
                      about $20 each. Stays are also pretty pricey. Because of your
                      measurements you will need one custom made. Expect to pay in the
                      neighborhood of $600 for a corset like you describe.
                    • Becky's naked email
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                        > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                        > cable ties as corset
                        > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                        > steel bones, could
                        > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                        > and made the
                        > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                        > dryable in
                        > machines!!!

                        This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                        used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                        roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                        and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                        comfortable.

                        Becky

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • judycat@prodigy.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                          >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                          >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.

                          What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does the
                          hose look like????

                          Judy
                        • Becky's naked email
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                            --- judycat@... wrote:
                            > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                            > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                            >
                            > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                            > the
                            > hose look like????
                            >
                            > Judy

                            Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                            conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                            cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                            that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100 feet.
                            I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                            rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                            break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                            solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                            out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                            halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                            Worked fine.

                            Becky

                            http://personals.yahoo.com
                          • Stacey Dunleavy
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                              --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                              > --- judycat@... wrote:
                              > > >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset
                              > and
                              > > >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning.
                              > >
                              > > What in the world is a swamp cooler and what does
                              > > the
                              > > hose look like????
                              > >
                              > > Judy
                              > >

                              > Swamp coolers are used in dry areas for air
                              > conditioning. They take a small amount of water to
                              > cool air and are hooked to a small stiff hose about
                              > that measures 1/4 inch across. My roll has 100
                              > feet.
                              > I cut it easily with scissors and since its plastic,
                              > rounding off the ends wasn't a problem and it won't
                              > break thru my fabric or seams. It was a cheap
                              > solution to my problem of finding something to hold
                              > out the roundness of my son's pumpkin costume last
                              > halloween and I thought why not use it for boning.
                              > Worked fine.
                              >
                              > Becky

                              > http://personals.yahoo.com

                              Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                              Also, what department would carry it?

                              http://personals.yahoo.com
                            • Becky's naked email
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 16, 2001
                                > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this stuff?
                                >
                                > Also, what department would carry it?

                                I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                                Just head for the home heating and cooling section and
                                ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                                comes in three colors, black, copper and natural...if
                                that matters. You have to create a bit more room for
                                pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                                notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.

                                I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                                material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                                lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                                coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                                stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.

                                Becky

                                http://personals.yahoo.com
                              • Stacey Dunleavy
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                  I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                  own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                  thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                  colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                  and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                  any other substitute ideas?

                                  Thanks.

                                  --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:

                                  > > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                                  > stuff?
                                  > >
                                  > > Also, what department would carry it?
                                  >

                                  > I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                                  > Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                                  > and
                                  > ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                                  > comes in three colors, black, copper and
                                  > natural...if
                                  > that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                                  > for
                                  > pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                                  > notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                                  >
                                  > I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                                  > material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                                  > lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                                  > coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                                  > stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                                  >

                                  > Becky

                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                • theresa b
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                    all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I have an order! I am
                                    supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a little girl (about 12)
                                    for a dance concert. The boning needs to be flexible. I was going to use
                                    spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but this swamp cooler hose
                                    idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance, is it and where can i
                                    find it?

                                    titi

                                    I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

                                    >From: Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...>
                                    >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                                    >Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:49:17 -0800 (PST)
                                    >

                                    > > We have also tried using very heavy duty plastic
                                    > > cable ties as corset
                                    > > bones, and found they were just as effective as
                                    > > steel bones, could
                                    > > easily be cut to size, made a lighter weight corset,
                                    > > and made the
                                    > > corset (if made with pre-washed fabric) washable AND
                                    > > dryable in
                                    > > machines!!!
                                    >
                                    >This summer I made an elizabethan style corset and
                                    >used swamp cooler hose in place of boning. The whole
                                    >roll cost me about 4 dollars. Washable and dryable
                                    >and the holes keeps a slight curved shape. Very
                                    >comfortable.
                                    >
                                    >Becky

                                  • Ann Ford
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                      We use boot laces, or you can order corset lacing in white from Richard the
                                      Thread, but they have a pretty heafty minumum yardage.
                                      Ann

                                      ----------
                                      >From: Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@...>
                                      >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Corset Advice?
                                      >Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2001, 10:34 AM
                                      >

                                      > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                      > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                      > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                      > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                      > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                      > any other substitute ideas?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.
                                      >

                                      > --- Becky's naked email <beckylee_00@...> wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >> > Can I walk into a Home Depot and ask for this
                                      >> stuff?
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Also, what department would carry it?
                                      >>

                                      >> I would think that Home Depot is the place to go!
                                      >> Just head for the home heating and cooling section
                                      >> and
                                      >> ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing. Package says it
                                      >> comes in three colors, black, copper and
                                      >> natural...if
                                      >> that matters. You have to create a bit more room
                                      >> for
                                      >> pockets than with normal flat boning, but I don't
                                      >> notice an extremely ridgy look from the outside.
                                      >>
                                      >> I was looking at it today and thinking its a fine
                                      >> material for making bustles and panniers. Stiff and
                                      >> lightweight with the curve retained from being in a
                                      >> coil. I have no idea if you could substitute this
                                      >> stuff for coil/spring boning...its flexible though.
                                      >>

                                      >> Becky

                                    • Becky's naked email
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 18, 2001
                                        --- theresa b <trinithree@...> wrote:
                                        > all this talk o corsets and here I am forgetting I
                                        > have an order! I am
                                        > supposed to build a corset/bodice type thing for a
                                        > little girl (about 12)
                                        > for a dance concert. The boning needs to be
                                        > flexible. I was going to use
                                        > spiral boning (pain to sand and tip the ends) but
                                        > this swamp cooler hose
                                        > idea intrigues me. What, and excuse my ignorance,
                                        > is it and where can i
                                        > find it?
                                        >
                                        > titi

                                        TiTi

                                        Go to a hardware store, in the heating and cooling
                                        section and ask for 1/4" polyethylene tubing.

                                        You have to remember that this stuff isn't flat, it is
                                        a tube, so if you are going for a really skimpy look
                                        instead of a bulkier upholstery fabric like corset,
                                        this probably isn't for you. Plastic ties, like Tara
                                        suggested, are flatter.

                                        I love Home Depot! Just walking around there gives me
                                        ideas!

                                        Becky

                                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                                      • Kate Bunting
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                          In a pinch, I once used ice skate laces. For bi-directional lacing,
                                          one from the top, one from the bottom, ties in the middle, they
                                          worked pretty well. Granted, I *do* have more than one pair of
                                          figure skates around from my former life as an athlete. I've bought
                                          them, since, in lengths of 100", 108", 112", and 120". Places like
                                          Alter Years sell 3 yard and 5 yard lengths; for reference, 3 yards is
                                          108". ;)

                                          They're *darn* sturdy, and with some looking can be found in cotton
                                          (no slipping), or nylon (careful with knots, they're hard to get out).

                                          Anyone else tried this?

                                          ~ Kate

                                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Stacey Dunleavy <anastasi5@y...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > I have another question about lacing. For some of my
                                          > own corsets, I used "elephant thread." This is a very
                                          > thick leather strip; it's strong and comes in many
                                          > colors. The down side is that it's at least $2 a yard
                                          > and I have to run into NYC for it. Does anyone have
                                          > any other substitute ideas?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks.
                                        • Stacey Dunleavy
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 19, 2001
                                            Boot laces and skate laces are fine and well if I'm
                                            making one in just black or white, but what about
                                            other colors? Also what about pricing?

                                            http://personals.yahoo.com