simplicity sergers

  • ethnofusion
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9 9:18 AM
      I am looking to buy a new serger and these are the only ones in my
      price range (under 200). I wondered if anyone has used them?
    • bleupirate@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11 7:50 AM
        In a message dated 5/11/2004 10:40:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ethnofusion@... writes:

        > I am looking to buy a new serger and these are the only ones in my
        > price range (under 200). I wondered if anyone has used them?

        I have one....it's a good serger. I haven't had any problems with mine and
        I've been using it for over two years.

        Renniegirl

      • Sherman, Talley and Raymond
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11 8:47 AM
          I have the tiny tailor one from Singer. It was 30 dollars. It does a simple serge but Oh what you can do with it! I made some costumes and an a quilt top.. It works great asn single spool. even allows fro that stretch thread!
          julie
          I am looking to buy a new serger and these are the only ones in my
          price range (under 200). I wondered if anyone has used them?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 11 3:38 PM
            I bought one recently and am still learning. I finally figured out how to
            balance the stitch! I just have to get up the guts to actually sew with it now.
            :)

          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 11 4:31 PM
              My Babylock went on the fritz a few weeks ago and, while waiting for
              it to be repaired, I purchased a Brother serger at Walmart for just
              under $200. It works beautifully! (As well as the BabyLock, IMO,
              which cost about 3 times as much several years ago!)

              -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"
              <ethnofusion@y...> wrote:
              > I am looking to buy a new serger and these are the only ones in my
              > price range (under 200). I wondered if anyone has used them?
            • Carla Pollard

                Message 7 of 14 , May 12 5:38 AM
                  In a message dated 5/12/2004 1:53:51 AM Central Standard Time,
                  kwilliams@... writes:
                  My Babylock went on the fritz a few weeks ago and, while waiting for
                  it to be repaired, I purchased a Brother serger at Walmart for just
                  under $200. It works beautifully! (As well as the BabyLock, IMO,
                  which cost about 3 times as much several years ago!)
                  I was going to buy the Brother, but they clearanced them out here, and
                  weren't available when I bought mine. I guess they are going to Singers instead.

                • Michele Milunas
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12 5:51 PM
                    To be honest, I'm scared just looking at them. LOL All those spools and threads......hopelessly confused by them. Do they really make some jobs easier?

                    Michele

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13 1:37 PM
                      ...there is so much you can do with a serger... I can't live without mine... but you do need tweezers to thread them.... and *sigh* my cat loves to jump up on my sewing table and run around the house with the treads....

                      anyone else have this problem??? she is so defiant.... arguh!

                      Tuesday Coren

                      Michele Milunas <drkfrau@...> wrote:
                      To be honest, I'm scared just looking at them. LOL All those spools and threads......hopelessly confused by them. Do they really make some jobs easier?

                      Michele
                      I bought one recently and am still learning. I finally figured out how to
                      balance the stitch! I just have to get up the guts to actually sew with it now.
                      :)

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • shieldmadien
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 13 1:59 PM
                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Milunas"
                        <drkfrau@v...> wrote:
                        > To be honest, I'm scared just looking at them. LOL All those
                        spools and threads......hopelessly confused by them. Do they really
                        make some jobs easier?

                        > Michele

                        Oh Girlfirend! You do not know what you are missing untill you start
                        using the serger to finish your edges.

                        I have pinked, I have french seamed, you name it and I've probably
                        done it as a finishing technique. I live for and love my sergers.

                        So often the fabric I'm using frayes terribly. Yes, it takes a little
                        bit of time to either prep your pieces before hand or to run them
                        through the serger after you've stitched, but I would not trade it
                        for anything.

                        I often do alterations on bridal gowns. My clients want the dress to
                        look as close to way it did before I altered it when I give it back
                        to them. I couldn't do that without my sergers.

                        Now, if of course you were just joking, then forgive me. I'll just
                        pick up my soap box, I mean serger box and go back to my shop and
                        keep working.
                        (snicker)

                        Kat
                      • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 13 2:28 PM
                          In a message dated 5/13/2004 3:07:17 PM Central Standard Time,
                          drkfrau@... writes:
                          To be honest, I'm scared just looking at them. LOL All those spools and
                          threads......hopelessly confused by them. Do they really make some jobs easier?
                          The spools and threads aren't that bad - with the Simplicity at WallyWorld,
                          you will at most have 2 looper threads, which have a pretty good diagram, and
                          then two needle threads, which are pretty simple to figure out from the manual.
                          I sure wish this came with an instructional video though!!! I have some
                          silky metallic knit fabric I need to practice a rolled hem on. My regular sewing
                          machine wouldn't readily handle this same fabric without using tissue to back
                          it. :p

                        • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 13 9:12 PM
                            In a message dated 5/13/2004 10:40:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                            tuesdaycoren@... writes:
                            ...there is so much you can do with a serger... I can't live without mine...
                            but you do need tweezers to thread them....
                            This may sound stupid, but after I got my serger, I have found I am MORE
                            coordinated threading needles with the tweezers than without them! :p

                          • K Murphy
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14 8:43 AM
                              Dear Tuesday:

                              I had the same problem with my cat eating thread! Every time I left my serger uncovered, he would chew the thread and drag it all over the house. My vet told me that it's extremely dangerous to let cats chew thread (it can actually cut through their insides -- yuck). So I started covering my serger, but I also hated the way the thread would tangle every time I covered it. I finally found a solution in Threads Magazine -- a reader wrote in to say that she had purchased a tall round trash can to use as a cover for her serger. I ran out and bought one myself and it works like a charm -- the cat can't get under it, and the thread doesn't ever tangle anymore when I cover my serger.

                              Dear Michele:

                              Be not afraid! Sergers are wonderful things, but I'd only recommend buying one if you sew often enough that you won't forget how to thread the machine every time you want to use it. Under those circumstances, they can be terribly frustrating. Maybe you could have a friend show you how to use one, maybe you could even borrow one for a project, to see how you like it first. I use mine to finish all inside edges, hem chiffons and other light fabrics, and create ruffle effects on the bias.

                              The one thing I wish someone had told me when I first started using sergers: There is NO shortcut when it comes to re-threading. If one of the bottom threads (loopers) breaks, you HAVE TO also break off the top (needle) threads and re-thread them before the chain stitch will work properly again. Instruction books state this, but they don't make it clear enough that the needles all work together to create a stretching chain of thread that loops around the edge of the fabric. When one of the bottom threads breaks, it also breaks the sequence...kind of like knitting or crochet, where one loop goes inside another in a series of chain stitches.

                              Kate Murphy