Paddle Hair images

  • julie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2004
      I was at the Museum of Natural History in NYC many years ago and they
      had images of chinese women with this awesome pig tail hair style.
      The pony tails were probaby filled with batting. The hair was then
      flattened out and banded in the middle with a flat clip of gold with
      cloissone. The bottom was a ferrule end cap that had some dangly
      things on it.
      Close to the head where the style started was another open ferrule
      made from rolled gold and has some millgrain work on it.
      The problem is I need to know if that was hair or if that was a hat.
      In the movie the Last Emperor there were women wearing that same
      design. But I can not cross reference it to anything on the net.
      I am making a large doll and puppet in that style. I also need to
      know if that was Han dynasty, Han Qing dynasty or pure Manchu, Manchu
      concubine or other.
      If anyone has a copy of The last emperor they can loan me or steer me
      to a resource that would have images such as I have described let me
      know!!!!

      julie
      www.clothdolldesigns.net