  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      > From: "Love3angle" <alyxx.iannetta@...>
      > Subject: Re: dying hats
      >
      > Hey Pru,
      > with a wool hat, I'd try to avoid any process that would
      > get it too
      > wet or you'll probably loose the sizing that keeps its
      > shape. There
      > are several flower or shoe dyes in spray cans. I'd take
      > that route. I
      > think regular spray paint would also get it too wet, but
      > it would
      > probably still work better than using an actual fabric
      > dye where
      > you'd have to soak in liquid or submerge/rinse heavily.

      Actually, having just been asked by my director to
      experiment with painting a (very cheap)wool hat, I can say
      that the biggest problem in spray-painting one is that the
      stray fibers that tend to stick up from the surface
      accumulate the paint faster than the rest of the hat. The
      result is that the hat ends up looking like it's got
      hundreds of tiny bristles all over it. Also, because the
      fibers soak up the paint, you need to spray, then dry, then
      spray again, repeating the process several times (took me
      five coats to get a gray hat somewhere close to white).

      You can go back and scrape off the bristles once the paint
      has set up, or possibly use a lint shaver to smooth the
      surface down before painting as much as possible. All that
      being said, I don't recommend the process for satisfactory
      results, although it will work much better trying to go to
      a darker color instead of a lighter one.

      =====
      Curtis Kidd