Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] first hand

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2004
      My personal experience is that the "First Hand" in a costume shop is the first person to receive garments for construction after the cutter/draper readies them to be stitched. I think of a First Hand as the most experienced stitcher, but that's only my point of view, based on my own work experience in about four shops. The First Hand is expected to be well versed enough in construction techniques that he/she can construct any garment, when handed a "package" of cut fabric pieces, according to industry standards (with reference to the costume sketch and in consultation with the designer/draper).

      A number of years ago I was a First Hand myself, but I can't remember the exact work I did with that title. I think a First Hand with experience as a cutter would be called on to fill in as needed in that capacity, especially when cutting multiple garments or more simple garments or when using a pattern that's already been drafted.

      Hope this helps,

      Kate Murphy

      rose_leigh_987 <rose_leigh_987@...> wrote:
      How would you describe the job of the first hand instage theatre.
      Thank you!