New Member

  • Michele Milunas
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 7 6:20 AM
      Hi Everyone,

      My name is Michele and I'm from Northeastern PA. I'm so glad that I found this group! I have been sewing WW2 reenacting costumes and barracks linens for about a year now. There is so much to learn, and I'm starting to make 40's civilian fashions also. Eventually, I hope to have my own part-time home sewing business, which will include other time periods and ethnic costumes as well.

      I hope that I don't ask too many dumb questions. LOL I'm here to learn all I can and share what I already know with others. So, please be patient with me and my best to all of you.

      Thanks,
      Michele

    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 9 5:14 AM
        Michele, there aren't any "dumb" questions if you don't already know the
        answers. There are many talented people here with a magnitude of
        experience. Ask away, someone else probably has some of the same questions.
        I'm betting there's someone here who's done it, seen it, or knows how to do
        it . Have fun ! RK
      • Michele Milunas
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 15 8:26 AM
          Thanks for the warm welcome, Randy! I have a lot of questions but don't want to bombard the list just yet;-)) I am, however, looking for a good shirtwaist dress pattern, 40-s style, that only buttons to the waist. All of the vintage and modern pattern sources that I checked only have the kind that buttons all the way down the front.

          Any good leads will be much appreciated!

          Michele

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 15 10:12 AM
            Don't know what your time frame is or size requirements-- but have you tried eBay -- I just did a quick search under Collectibles/Vintage Sewing/Patterns for "shirtwaist dress" and came up with a few. (You can also check under Crafts/Sewing/Patterns -- there are less vintage patterns in that category, but you might find something appropriate there as well.)

            Andrea -- NYC

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 15 1:44 PM
              Hi Andrea,

              Thank you so much for your lead to the shirtwaist dress! I found the pattern that's the right size for me and can't wait to get it!

              I am a size 18 and 5'9".

              My Best,
              Michele

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 30, 2005
                  Hello Everyone,

                  I was a member before but had a lengthy illness and had to unsubscribe for awhile. I am still interested in learning about the history, design and construction of period costumes. My favorite periods are WWII and the Italian Renaissance. I also have my own costuming business called Frontsisters. I specialize in reproducing WWII German female uniforms and costumes.

                  My first question is: what fabrics were Italian Renaissance costumes made from? Any information and research sources are greatly appreciated. I have not sewn these before and am eager to start one.

                  Michele

                • historical_novelist
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 20, 2006
                    Hello everyone, new member here. I'm fascinated with costume history
                    and I am a daily visitor the the wonderful site that is The Costumer's
                    Manifesto, so this group is perfect for me. I'm taking a sewing class
                    with the intent of obtaining a degree in fashion design at college, so
                    I hope to be able to sew historical costumes. I also write historical
                    romances set around the turn of the century(love those clothes) in a
                    variety of settings. I hope to have fun on this list.

                    I do have a question, so I'll ask it in this email instead of starting
                    another one: Does anyone know of any resources on costume of
                    Austria-Hungary? I went to see The Illusionist todat(excellent movie
                    with sumptuous costumes) and noticed that Jessica Biel's character
                    Duchess Sophie rode astride either with breeches beneath her skirts or
                    the breeches by themselves. I remember reading somewhere that Empress
                    Elizabeth of Austria-Hungary started the trend, but I want a clearer
                    confirmation.

                    Thanks so much!

                    Evangeline
                  • Christine
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 26, 2006
                      Evangeline, can't help with Austro-Hungarian costume resources, but I
                      can advise on the Fashion Design course. Not sure how they are
                      structured in the USA but here in Australia fashion design does not
                      involve very much actual sewing, mostly drawing the concept with
                      occassional sampling. I've read on other groups that this may also be
                      the case in the US, so I'd recommend looking at the Theatrical Costume
                      courses. The courses I took here used very similar construction methods
                      to those used in historical costume, e.g. mounting fabric on solid
                      foundations (I think you call in flat lining) hand whipping seam
                      allowances, hooks and eyes closures and lacing used where appropriate
                      etc. "Fashion" courses are usually geared to the mass produced market,
                      even couture clothing courses are nowhere near historical methods if I
                      recall. I am of course presuming that you want to make reproduction
                      historical clothing, not "fancy dress"? Christine in bleak Sydney,
                      Australia.
                    • historical_novelist
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 31, 2006
                        Thanks for the info Christine! I'm actually majoring in fashion design
                        right now(a lot of sewing) but had forgotten about the theatre arts
                        department at my school. And yes, I'd like to make reproductions of
                        costumes. I've found a few books on amazon, and there's this amazing
                        costume group a few hours away, so I just need to jump in. *G*

                        Evangeline
                      • Andromeda Williams
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                          Greetings and Salutations,
                              I am here to learn. I am looking for both a mentor and friends/associates that are into costume as much as I am. I tried to take fashion design classes at my university but it was too much fashion and little to no costuming. Perfect for fashion design majors not so good for costumers. I have been greatly inspired by the literature that has appealed to m y heart from the Secret Garden to Pride and Prejudice, Little Women to Wuthering Heights. I  agreed with Virginia Woolf in that the clothing a woman wore had a lot to do with the shaping or her actions and thoughts. I love history and in that the richness of women's clothing seems to have ended 20 years or so before my birth. Not saying that I feel all women should be corseted again or that showing a little leg should once again be taboo, just saying that variety in both modesty and sensuality should be returned in way that are not the Academy Awards red carpet affairs. Now the name of the
                          designer means little in that the quality of the garment is trash.  Cheap fabrics, poor construction and available mass produced at Walmart. I would like to see the return of handmade and made at home with superior quality, style and design. Even if it dooms me to have only Sew Beautiful and Martha Pullen as my examples I refuse to give in to the cheap ad disposable clothing of my time. What happened to the trousseau and garments being intended to be handed down? I am not the only one that feels this way am I? More about me other than my clothing issues, I love to read, miss history, dislike the present and pray earnestly for a better future. I am into dolls, book, dancing, swimming, and writing/penmanship. I have many beautiful dolls that need to be dressed and a Civil War ball to go to in December that requires a civil war gown. I want to make it myself as well as know how to behave in it. Anything else you want to know feel free to ask me. I lok
                          forward to my time among you all.

                          Andromeda

                        • Mary Logan
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                            Hello Andromeda,

                            Your post inspires me to reply, as I was once where you are, and always find
                            I feel a duty to encourage younger people coming into the field.

                            After 30+ years in the business, I consider myself a master of the craft,
                            from design interpretation, to custom-patterning, through
                            sewing/construction and the finest of finishing. My interest began very
                            early in life, and purely by happenstance, I ended up doing what I love most
                            for a living. It's my view too, that there is a lot to be said for quality
                            and style such as we've seen in examples from the past, and even more for
                            personal taste and selection in terms of choice suited to occasion.

                            If it's costuming, and costume construction that interests you, I would
                            venture to say that opportunities are becoming few and far between - that is
                            if you want to make a living at it. Technology and industry have combined
                            by now to a point where many of the things we used to rely on hands for, are
                            executable by machinery, in a much shorter amount of time, hence at a lower
                            cost. Add to that the tendency for business to exploit for labour less
                            fortunate people in other nations, and it's easy to see that fashion and
                            trends are prone to change at a rate much speedier than in times when
                            construction spent more time in human hands.

                            Just the same, there is nothing to stop you in achieving construction
                            skills, though be prepared - in many ways it is a lifetime of learning.
                            There are many theatres where interning opportunities exist, as well as
                            regional and amateur theatres where they're only too happy to have
                            volunteers. Throughout, strive to learn, and begin a book collection. Art
                            books contain the most faithful of period clothing representations.
                            Reference material is also important - books, magazines....wherever you see
                            it, photograph it, copy it, read it, buy it if you can. Pattern-making
                            books from all sorts of sources are important as well - as you gain insight
                            with experience, you will find your way to your own methods through trial
                            and error and comparison - I don't believe there is a single pattern book
                            that will contain all that you encounter. Technical books on styling are
                            helpful, as well as books that TALK about style and choice of style. One
                            of my biggest inspirations (which is what your post reminded me of) was a
                            book titled Harmony in Dress, by Mary Brooks Picken.

                            Aside from that, if you intend to do work on your own, strive to (over time)
                            have proper space, tools and machinery, lighting, storage etc., so that you
                            can work properly. Nothing will kill your inspiration as quickly as
                            frustration. If you have access, also learn from older people - whether
                            it's embroidery, smocking, knitting, crochet, to mention a few - all will be
                            useful sometime later., perhaps even a central feature in a project.

                            And remember, if at any point you are tempted to assert that now you know
                            all you need to know - keep in mind, if you continue in the field, that a
                            year, two years, twenty years later, you will know that much more - hence,
                            you DON'T know all there is to know, ever, really.

                            Regardless of what you see around you, how you personally dress is still
                            your choice. If you have a style that is your own, be it classic or trendy,
                            IT will be the inspiration you use when working for others - don't be afraid
                            of developing it fully, but also respect that not everyone's tastes are the
                            same. In judging each of your final products, regardless of whether the
                            person or organization you're servicing is happy and overjoyed, use your own
                            judgement in establishing your standard. If YOU are happy with it, you will
                            know, not hope, that your product is one of quality and will be worn with
                            pride.

                            So I've gone on a bit, I know, but I hope you, and perhaps others, find it
                            helpful. Wishing you all the best in however you choose to express your
                            interests.

                            Zed

                          • E
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
                              Greetings, Andromeda!
                            • PlaidCrafter
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 18, 2012
                                Today at http://craftside.typepad.com/ there is a fun tutorial from Pluckyfluff's new book Hand Spun on how to spin extreme tail yarn and you can enter to win a copy of her book!
                                Fiber-fabulous!
                                Stef
                                http://thecardalbum.blogspot.com/
                                http://sweatersurgery.blogspot.com/
                                http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/
                                Facebook facebook.com/StefanieL.Girard
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
                              • IOM315@AOL.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 3 8:33 AM
                                  I've read your post and as well as the post from "Zed". I could not agree
                                  more with "Zed". I have been designing and producing presentation gowns
                                  for Mardi Gras over the past 30+ years. This has led me down a very twisted
                                  path, but I can say after just finishing up work on my 24th Ball for the
                                  same organization, it is with pride that I look back on how my work has
                                  evolved.

                                  From my early endeavors until now I have had to change with the
                                  marketplace. Beautiful fabrics and trims have either vanished or become so expensive
                                  they are out of my budget. I have found that being flexible, always
                                  inquisitive, and not settling for with the first idea has brought my work to its
                                  current level.

                                  The most profound change for my work was born because I hate to have my
                                  work compromised by what is available in the textile industry. Therefore I
                                  developed a process to emboss my artwork on textiles. While refining the
                                  process I had the opportunity to create a collection of presentation gowns
                                  based on Faberge's Easter Eggs. The combination was a true turning point.

                                  You just never know where the path will lead when faced with challenges.
                                  My best advice is to approach the challenges of our industry as
                                  opportunities for growth in spite of the growing pains!

                                  Best wishes and welcome to this "crazy" world.
                                  D.L. Dixon
                                  Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.