Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Cleaning lace

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
      Hi :)

      I soak my finds in OxiClean. I find it works very well. I soak until the stains are gone, anywhere from 1-5 hours. I've used it on all types of lace, cotton, man-made fibers, etc. The only thing you should NOT soak in OC is SILK! Bad idea as I found out... Gently rinse in a sink of cool water, roll in a towel and gently press exess water and dry flat.

      I've done this with 100+ year-old lace and it's come out looking beautiful.

      Hope this is helpfull.

      Chris :)

      lanorte1@... wrote:
      I have a lace collar - probably 1930's or 40's vintage - that I picked up at
      an antique store. It has a couple of bad brown stains on it. Any suggestions
      as to how I can safely clean it, especially since I don't know what the stain
      is or know the fiber content of the lace?

      I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer.

      Donna

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2004
        i have lace curtains in my kitchen and with all the dirt and grease, i soaked in oxy clean and they came out white and didnt harm them in any way. soak over night i would try and trust that, it worked for me, i have also cleaned yellow stained linen that was over 25 years old and soaked and came out perfect with no harm. good luck