Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

  • Sylvia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
      From: IvannaBWealthy@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:59:20 EST
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

      Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
      help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness
      (is
      that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember
      re-dying a
      pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
      lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL.
      Hope
      this helps.

      I double checked with the dyeing email list because I didn't think vinegar
      had any effect on cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon, linen) and I was right.
      it only works on protein (wool, silk). I didnt realize, however, until
      informed by the same list member, who is a professional dyer, that Dylon
      Cold is a fiber reactive dye, which means it will work fine on cotton and is
      probably just as easy to use as Rit.

      Sylrog