Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

  • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:59 PM
      Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
      help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness (is
      that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember re-dying a
      pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
      lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL. Hope
      this helps.

    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 8:06 AM
        From: IvannaBWealthy@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:59:20 EST
        To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

        Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
        help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness
        (is
        that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember
        re-dying a
        pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
        lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL.
        Hope
        this helps.

        I double checked with the dyeing email list because I didn't think vinegar
        had any effect on cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon, linen) and I was right.
        it only works on protein (wool, silk). I didnt realize, however, until
        informed by the same list member, who is a professional dyer, that Dylon
        Cold is a fiber reactive dye, which means it will work fine on cotton and is
        probably just as easy to use as Rit.

        Sylrog