Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

  • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
      help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness (is
      that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember re-dying a
      pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
      lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL. Hope
      this helps.

    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        From: "CostumeShopManager" <costumes@...>
        Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:08:31 -0800
        To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

        Vinegar and lots of rinsing. Rit may be less efficient, but it makes up for
        it in easy. Adding more table salt to the dye bath will help the color to
        be richer. Use a color catcher in the dryer. All of these things will make
        the directions on the box or bottle better.

        Quite true. Procion Mx also requires salt and soda ash and takes a bit
        more time.

      • Sylvia
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
          From: IvannaBWealthy@...
          Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:59:20 EST
          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

          Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
          help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness
          (is
          that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember
          re-dying a
          pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
          lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL.
          Hope
          this helps.

          I double checked with the dyeing email list because I didn't think vinegar
          had any effect on cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon, linen) and I was right.
          it only works on protein (wool, silk). I didnt realize, however, until
          informed by the same list member, who is a professional dyer, that Dylon
          Cold is a fiber reactive dye, which means it will work fine on cotton and is
          probably just as easy to use as Rit.

          Sylrog