Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

  • Sylvia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      I would use a better dye, like a Procion MX. The problem with Rit is that
      it is manufactured to be able to be used on both protein and cellulose
      fibers, so it is a combination of dye types and whichever type is not
      intended for the fiber you are dyeing will wash out over time. It also
      takes a lot more dye because of this so it is more wasteful. Order some
      Procion MX from a company like Dharma Trading, Pro Chemical or Rupert,
      Gibbon & Spider.

      Sylrog

      From: "dollywollydoodle2" <lattavol@...>
      Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:19:14 -0000
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

      I always seem to have trouble with the color bleeding after I have
      dyed a fabric with Rit or similar dyes. I want to dye a very heavy
      loosely woven cotton fabric, but I don't want to run into trouble
      with bleeding and rub-off. Does anyone have any advice they could
      offer? I must be doing something wrong or those dye companies would
      have gone out of business long ago!

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      e>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
        help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness (is
        that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember re-dying a
        pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
        lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL. Hope
        this helps.

      • Sylvia
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          From: "CostumeShopManager" <costumes@...>
          Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:08:31 -0800
          To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>

          Vinegar and lots of rinsing. Rit may be less efficient, but it makes up for
          it in easy. Adding more table salt to the dye bath will help the color to
          be richer. Use a color catcher in the dryer. All of these things will make
          the directions on the box or bottle better.

          Quite true. Procion Mx also requires salt and soda ash and takes a bit
          more time.

        • CostumeShopManager
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
              From: IvannaBWealthy@...
              Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:59:20 EST
              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

              Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
              help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness
              (is
              that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember
              re-dying a
              pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
              lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL.
              Hope
              this helps.

              I double checked with the dyeing email list because I didn't think vinegar
              had any effect on cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon, linen) and I was right.
              it only works on protein (wool, silk). I didnt realize, however, until
              informed by the same list member, who is a professional dyer, that Dylon
              Cold is a fiber reactive dye, which means it will work fine on cotton and is
              probably just as easy to use as Rit.

              Sylrog