color bleeding after dying

  • dollywollydoodle2
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
      I always seem to have trouble with the color bleeding after I have
      dyed a fabric with Rit or similar dyes. I want to dye a very heavy
      loosely woven cotton fabric, but I don't want to run into trouble
      with bleeding and rub-off. Does anyone have any advice they could
      offer? I must be doing something wrong or those dye companies would
      have gone out of business long ago!
    • Sylvia
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
        I would use a better dye, like a Procion MX. The problem with Rit is that
        it is manufactured to be able to be used on both protein and cellulose
        fibers, so it is a combination of dye types and whichever type is not
        intended for the fiber you are dyeing will wash out over time. It also
        takes a lot more dye because of this so it is more wasteful. Order some
        Procion MX from a company like Dharma Trading, Pro Chemical or Rupert,
        Gibbon & Spider.

        Sylrog

        From: "dollywollydoodle2" <lattavol@...>
        Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:19:14 -0000
        To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] color bleeding after dying

        I always seem to have trouble with the color bleeding after I have
        dyed a fabric with Rit or similar dyes. I want to dye a very heavy
        loosely woven cotton fabric, but I don't want to run into trouble
        with bleeding and rub-off. Does anyone have any advice they could
        offer? I must be doing something wrong or those dye companies would
        have gone out of business long ago!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        e>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
          Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
          help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness (is
          that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember re-dying a
          pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
          lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL. Hope
          this helps.

        • Sylvia
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004
            From: "CostumeShopManager" <costumes@...>
            Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:08:31 -0800
            To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>

            Vinegar and lots of rinsing. Rit may be less efficient, but it makes up for
            it in easy. Adding more table salt to the dye bath will help the color to
            be richer. Use a color catcher in the dryer. All of these things will make
            the directions on the box or bottle better.

            Quite true. Procion Mx also requires salt and soda ash and takes a bit
            more time.

          • CostumeShopManager
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2004

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2004
                From: IvannaBWealthy@...
                Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:59:20 EST
                To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

                Would adding some vinegar to the water the first time you wash after dying
                help? I heard many years ago that is a way to improve the color-fastness
                (is
                that even a word?) of new black or red items you buy, and I remember
                re-dying a
                pair of my ex-husband's jeans black, and adding the vinegar. I THINK it
                lasted pretty well, but I don't have any hard statistical data for you. LOL.
                Hope
                this helps.

                I double checked with the dyeing email list because I didn't think vinegar
                had any effect on cellulose fibers (cotton, rayon, linen) and I was right.
                it only works on protein (wool, silk). I didnt realize, however, until
                informed by the same list member, who is a professional dyer, that Dylon
                Cold is a fiber reactive dye, which means it will work fine on cotton and is
                probably just as easy to use as Rit.

                Sylrog