Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Advice on Charges for designing

  • sylvia@ntw.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004

      > Great input. Just one question: How do you charge for the time your
      right brain spends designing? My best ideas come to me when I'm lying
      down or driving the car. Do you charge for those times? I'm kinda
      kidding and kinda not.

      Sylrog

      > Hey, Kat:
      >
      > Here's my advice, based on my own experiences.
      >
      > I always let the client go first when it comes to money. I ask,
      > "What did you have in mind to spend?" And then follow up with
      > questions like, "What exactly will you need to see from me on paper?
      > How many meetings will we need to have? Will you need a proposal?"
      > If they say, "Well, we were hoping you could tell us what it will
      > cost," I always say something like, "Well, there are a range of
      > options, and I need a ballpark figure just so I can get an idea where you
      > want to go with this." If they won't give me numbers, I either ask
      > them to get back to me or I throw out a range of prices, just to determine
      > if they have any concept of what the services they are asking for are
      > worth.

    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
        Syl:

        Well...the kinda kidding answer would be, "I don't think you can charge for having the brain of an artist!" But I do include my "thinking time" in the "research" category, and I do charge for it. I just don't list it on the invoice as "Long hot bath with glass of well-aged Pomerol and 'The Busby Berkely Book' balanced on knees....$75.00"

        Kate Murphy

        sylvia@... wrote:

        > Great input. Just one question: How do you charge for the time your
        right brain spends designing? My best ideas come to me when I'm lying
        down or driving the car. Do you charge for those times? I'm kinda
        kidding and kinda not.

        Sylrog

      • Sylvia
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 7:35 AM
          From: K Murphy <costumerkate@...>
          Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:45:08 -0800 (PST)
          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Advice on Charges for designing

          Well...the kinda kidding answer would be, "I don't think you can charge for
          having the brain of an artist!"

          I think that's a big part of the reason we as designers are not often paid
          what we are worth!

          Sylrog