Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Charges for Designs

  • Ruth & Ana
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      Dear Kat,

      Do they want sketches only, or complete descriptions of how the costumes
      will be constructed? Patterns? It makes a big difference.

      I would advise you charge 3x as much as you think you should. It will
      take far more work than you realize--it is far harder to tell someone
      else what to do, and how, than to simply do it. Also set some very
      specific guidelines up front, about when and how your involvement ends.
      Otherwise you're going to end up sewing for them and possibly for free.

      I tell people that the design is 2/3 of the work, especially if the
      design includes the construction details. Also, a lot of the details
      are worked out as I go along, so for a completely new type of design, I
      often have to make a prototype, whether I will make the final costume or
      not. Then I have to document the details of how to put it together.

      This is why I hate doing "just the design"....

      Ana