Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Hi!

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2004
      Hi Andrea:

      When I was working in a costume shop about 15 years ago, we built tutus according to the guidelines of the American Ballet Theater. We called them "dinner plates," because they stuck straight out from the hip, like wearing a plate. Each tutu took approximately 40 hours for a professional seamstress to construct and contained (as I recall) about 12 yards of tulle. There were somewhere between 22 and 24 rows of ruffles sewn onto a double-layered net panty, beginning with the 1" "butt ruffles" and ending with the top layers, upon which a separate layer, a decorative "plate," was laid. The completed costume consisted of the tutu, which had ruffles from the leg openings up to about 4" below the waist, which was sewn to the basque, (this began at the top of the plate and continued to the waist), and then a separate bodice. The basque was constructed of layers of muslin for strength, a grosgrain ribbon to cinch the waist, and had to be sewn onto the dancer (up the center back) before
      each performance. The bodice, which was completely separate from the tutu and basque except for a few tabs of elastic, was constructed in a minimum of six pieces (princess seams) and was heavily constructed with layers of face fabric, muslin, and baby flannel next to the skin.

      I think our designer got the directions to construct these from ABT. Have you done any web searches for "tutu construction?" I got one promising list at: http://ballet-tutus.bravepages.com/Gross-Bib-2.html

      Hope you enjoy this site -- there is also a link through this site to some ballet construction information. Search the Costumer's Manifesto and have fun.

      Kate Murphy

      Andrea <Frl.Spinne@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      I'm new to your group and hope I will have a great time here.
      I am from Vienna and I naturally love costumes! My interests are
      mostly historical costumes, but I also like to make other clothes
      like fetish clothing, evening dresses...
      Besides, I'm interested into art & photography, history, mythology...

      Here is my first question to you ;-)
      In one of the photo albums (Number 4) I saw a such beautiful tutu,
      but I don't know who made it. So I ask you -hoping you can help- if
      there is any (good!) literature on making professional tutus?
      I already made some for my little sisters and for myself, a black &
      glittering one for going out.
      But- for I have some interest in making things as professional as
      possible- I thought, there is probably a good book on sewing tutus?

      So, it would be great, if you could help me!
      Thank you so much,
      yours
      Andrea