  • Nancy Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001

      This has nothing to do with the last post, but I have a question concerning men's shirts before 1650 or so. I have been asked to research mens shirts for an instruction and the part I really do best is the sewing part-SO does anyone from this wonderful list have any ideas where I can go for information concerning the cut of men's shirts in the middle ages-Renaissance periods? I have a few costume book sources and I'm in the SCA so have a background there-but I thought some of you might have some advice?  Thanking you in advance!

      Michaela

      >From: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Digest Number 187
      >Date: 3 Nov 2001 10:03:26 -0000

      >There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. (unknown)
      > From: Megan OSullivan

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:30:47 -0800 (PST)
      > From: Megan OSullivan
      >Subject: (unknown)

      >Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.
      >
      >[This message contained attachments]

    • Jeni
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
        Nancy Cox wrote:

        > This has nothing to do with the last post, but I have a question
        > concerning men's shirts before 1650 or so. I have been asked to
        > research mens shirts for an instruction and the part I really do best
        > is the sewing part-SO does anyone from this wonderful list have any
        > ideas where I can go for information concerning the cut of men's
        > shirts in the middle ages-Renaissance periods? I have a few costume
        > book sources and I'm in the SCA so have a background there-but I
        > thought some of you might have some advice? Thanking you in advance!
        >
        > Michaela

        Have you seen "Cut My Cote" yet? It seems a very good book, that I have
        occasionally have the chance to look through. I can't think of anything
        else that mentions much about shirts, but if I come across anything
        else, I will post it.

        ~Jeni, also a Scadian.
        --

        "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
        the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

        -William Pitt
      • michaela de bruce
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
          << SO does anyone from this wonderful list have any ideas where I can
          go for information concerning the cut of men's shirts in the middle
          ages-Renaissance periods? I have a few costume book sources and I'm
          in the SCA so have a background there-but I thought some of you might
          have some advice? Thanking you in advance! >>

          Have you tried joing the SCA-Garb list? Extremely high volume (over
          1000 subscribers), and archives that reflect this;) You can join
          online so you don't get all the mail
          (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Garb join and in the selection
          choose no mail.. if you choose digest, you'll likely get several
          digests each day).

          There will be links to be found in there I'm sure. There are a few
          sites out there that deal with underwear mentioned in the list, at
          the time you are referring to they really were underwear that got
          shown rather than an outer layer. Does Janet Arnold's book (Patterns
          of Fashion, the one up to 1660) have a few examples? I've never
          really used her books to look at male costume.

          good luck,
          michaela
          http://recital.tripod.com