Re: body asymmetry in actor

  • amyjohnsonprf
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
      Hello there! YOu are not alone. The more I costume, I notice the
      differences in actor's bodies. I, personally, have exactly the same
      problem that you listed below. My spine curves to the left. People
      that may be aware of their bodies, are not always aware of how thier
      spine is shaped. It took me having to go to a chiropractor to know
      that my spine was misshapen. I've also run across actors that have
      the same problem. Most know its scholiosis, however some have no
      idea. If your actor is comfortable with her body you may wish to say
      something, but that is your choice. Just do plenty of fittings and
      hem anything on the actor.

      Good Luck!
      AJ
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ehoelscher"
      <ebh2@l...> wrote:
      > Has anyone ever encountered extreme differences in a person's
      > measurements from left to right sides? I'm working with a
      > 20-something female actor who is very different from right to
      left.
      > Her shoulders are about 1.5" different, her underarm to waist is
      about
      > 3/4" different, her hem is skewed up on the right side. I asked
      her
      > the standard question about carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder
      and
      > she said, "No, I don't carry a bag."
      >
      > I am finding this strange. In 18 years of costuming I have never
      seen
      > an individual with this significant asymmetry. When I asked her if
      > she'd ever been told this or noticed it before, she said No.
      Should I
      > keep quiet and assume that everyone's been checked for things like
      > scholiosis, or should I say more?
    • pyrfectpup
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
        ehoelscher wrote:

        > Has anyone ever encountered extreme differences in a person's
        > measurements from left to right sides?

        snip

        > Should I
        > keep quiet and assume that everyone's been checked for things like
        > scholiosis, or should I say more?

        My response would be to tell her of your years of experience and how her
        body is the most asymmetrical you've come across. Then suggest she bring
        this up to her MD at the next visit. It's totally up to her after that.
        Stuff like scoliosis often creeps up slowly on a person and only gets worse.

        Here is one of many links on scoliosis
        http://www.iscoliosis.com/

        Cecilia - not an MD, nor do I play one on stage, the theatre, etc....

      • Coyote Woman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
          Great suggestions... I'd also suggest giving her a copy of her measurement
          sheet and suggesting she take it to the doctor WITH her. That way if her
          doctor decides to wait and watch instead of sending her off for xrays and so
          forth (which HMO's do a LOT) then her dated measurements will be in her
          medical charts in case she DOES have a problem in the future.
          _____

          > Has anyone ever encountered extreme differences in a person's
          > measurements from left to right sides?

          snip

          > Should I
          > keep quiet and assume that everyone's been checked for things like
          > scholiosis, or should I say more?

          My response would be to tell her of your years of experience and how her
          body is the most asymmetrical you've come across. Then suggest she bring
          this up to her MD at the next visit. It's totally up to her after that.
          Stuff like scoliosis often creeps up slowly on a person and only gets worse.

          Here is one of many links on scoliosis
          http://www.iscoliosis.com/

          Cecilia - not an MD, nor do I play one on stage, the theatre, etc....

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cvc6uac/M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroup
          web/S=1707300337:HM/EXP=1078851785/A=2019528/R=2/SIG=141oocc8d/*http://ad.do
          ubleclick.net/jump/N3349.yahoo1/B1282054.27;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;cod
          e=18634;dcopt=rcl;ord=1078765385761535?> Click HereClick Here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=274551.4550177.5761904.1261774/D=egroupweb
          /S=:HM/A=2019528/rand=199096019>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          e>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
            Hello all,

            Question-Does anyone know how to soften up stiff denim? I
            have a pair of jeans that I bought because they actually
            fit halfway decent (a rare occurance for me indeed) but
            they are really stiff! I also have a denim shirt that I
            love, but it's stiff and that makes it a little
            uncomfortable. How can I soften them up? I think I heard
            about some sort of mild acid solution that they could be
            soaked in, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

            Jessica

            =====
            http://search.yahoo.com