Re: making tiaras

  • icedance4me
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
      To make exquisite tiaras, look into taking a jewelry making or
      lapidary class.

      I make "quick" tiaras by utilizing pieces of lace that are fashioned
      or cut into the desired tiara shape, and then stiffen them with "stiff
      stuff" which I find at Michael's crafts. Be generous with the coats of
      the stiff stuff, and allow it to dry completely over a wax paper
      covered cylindar, which will mold the curved shape of the crown. I
      then encrust the stiffened lace with Swarovski crystals or colored
      rhinestones. To add bugle beads to the edges, string them on fine
      gauge wire, then whip tack the wire to the edges of the stiffend lace.

      There are many ways to secure the finished tiara on the head. The
      easiest is to push bobby pins through the holes of the lace. Another
      method requires gluing it to a piano wire band with combs attached on
      both ends. For use with ballet and skating costumes, in which the hair
      is worn in a bun, the stiffened lace can be whip tacked to a thin,
      covered elastic band (think non-bunched, thin scrunchy) or sewn to a
      snood for a spanish look. All of the above techniques should be
      further secured with long hair or roller pins that are criss crossed.

      -Kristen

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"