  • Juliann
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2001
      > I am working on a production of Two Gentlemen of Verona set in
      >an "unnamed, twentieth century Caribbean dictatorship". I am having
      >a difficult time finding examples of a particular type of silhouette
      >that the director has asked for... Here goes: Long-sleeved,
      >light-weight dresses with high collars. He does not want the boyish
      >look of the 1920's (but he does want a mix of 1930s through 60s
      >creating a timeless quality to the production). The subjugation of
      >women and their femininity is a theme he wants to explore. He wants
      >the ladies feminine and covered up, but at the same time I must
      >express the heat of the tropics.
      > I have been up and down trying to find an appropriate
      >silhouette for a mobster-esque state (no real military presence in the
      >play) and cannot find any good resources of photographs for the
      >upper-class ruling families of people like Batista, Papa Doc and Baby
      >Doc, ect. Castro is too military for my director... I have plenty of
      >resources about general silhouettes of the different periods, but
      >nothing that says "Caribbean..." Any ideas? Websites? Movies?
      >Books? Anything would be appreciated. Thank-you so much!!!

      This is probably not what you are after, but when I think of Carribbean and
      movies, I think of the Voodoo movies such as Serpent and the Rainbow and
      Angelheart. Both portray the secret voodoo underworld as being the real
      power, but some of those images of power could perhaps be converted to use
      for mobster sorts.

      Hope that helps,
      Juliann