making tiaras

  • ethnofusion
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
      does anyone know how to make a tiara?

      one that starts with making a jig for it?

      this one will be for my niece's birthday, but if it turns out well
      will prove to be very useful for me in the future.

      thanks
    • K Murphy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2004
        If you know how to solder, it's actually quite easy. If you don't know how to solder, it's pretty easy and inexpensive to teach yourself. Soldering guns are available at most hardware stores for very little $$. I've found the really inexpensive ones burn themselves out quickly, though. I use a medium quality soldering gun, liquid "Stay-Brite Silver Solder" flux, and a thick (.125) wire solder ("Flo-Temp Silver Bearing Solder") although thinner solder is easier to learn with.

        I've made several tiaras and openwork crowns using wire and plastic beads/pearls (you must be careful not to melt the plastic) but rhinestones-by-the-foot (sold altogether in a chain and available at most fabric/craft stores) also work great and give that true tiara sparkle.

        Just shape the wire, or cut it in the pattern you desire, and solder the wires and rhinestones together.

        Kate Murphy

        ethnofusion <ethnofusion@...> wrote:
        does anyone know how to make a tiara?

        one that starts with making a jig for it?

        this one will be for my niece's birthday, but if it turns out well
        will prove to be very useful for me in the future.

        thanks

      • icedance4me
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
          To make exquisite tiaras, look into taking a jewelry making or
          lapidary class.

          I make "quick" tiaras by utilizing pieces of lace that are fashioned
          or cut into the desired tiara shape, and then stiffen them with "stiff
          stuff" which I find at Michael's crafts. Be generous with the coats of
          the stiff stuff, and allow it to dry completely over a wax paper
          covered cylindar, which will mold the curved shape of the crown. I
          then encrust the stiffened lace with Swarovski crystals or colored
          rhinestones. To add bugle beads to the edges, string them on fine
          gauge wire, then whip tack the wire to the edges of the stiffend lace.

          There are many ways to secure the finished tiara on the head. The
          easiest is to push bobby pins through the holes of the lace. Another
          method requires gluing it to a piano wire band with combs attached on
          both ends. For use with ballet and skating costumes, in which the hair
          is worn in a bun, the stiffened lace can be whip tacked to a thin,
          covered elastic band (think non-bunched, thin scrunchy) or sewn to a
          snood for a spanish look. All of the above techniques should be
          further secured with long hair or roller pins that are criss crossed.

          -Kristen

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "ethnofusion"