Caribean Dictatorships & Two Gents

  • c
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2001
      Hello, folks! I've been a lurker for a while, but I thought I
      might introduce myself. My name is Corey, I'm out here in San Diego.
      Worked at the Globe for a while, now I'm at the University of San
      Diego.
      I am working on a production of Two Gentlemen of Verona set in
      an "unnamed, twentieth century Caribbean dictatorship". I am having
      a difficult time finding examples of a particular type of silhouette
      that the director has asked for... Here goes: Long-sleeved,
      light-weight dresses with high collars. He does not want the boyish
      look of the 1920's (but he does want a mix of 1930s through 60s
      creating a timeless quality to the production). The subjugation of
      women and their femininity is a theme he wants to explore. He wants
      the ladies feminine and covered up, but at the same time I must
      express the heat of the tropics.
      I have been up and down trying to find an appropriate
      silhouette for a mobster-esque state (no real military presence in the
      play) and cannot find any good resources of photographs for the
      upper-class ruling families of people like Batista, Papa Doc and Baby
      Doc, ect. Castro is too military for my director... I have plenty of
      resources about general silhouettes of the different periods, but
      nothing that says "Caribbean..." Any ideas? Websites? Movies?
      Books? Anything would be appreciated. Thank-you so much!!!

      Corey