Re: Simplicity9761 and skirt seam center front?

  • Bell
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 2, 2004
      Thanks all for your advice and input about this pattern. I've
      decided to make it up in a cheap polycotton to see whats best for
      the seams. As for the grossgrain waistband, I'd decided to drop that
      for a firmer waistband as I've used this and find the result
      lacking, but mybe thats me.
      I've already made a caged crinoline and it seems to look fine over
      it but the amount of times it will be worn together seems a shame.
      But i've had a thought and looked at a few pics. I'm thinking if I
      make one or two of the Simplicity 5726 petticoats will I get the
      look of the pic I've added to in the pics folder. I was thinking of
      using this skirt pattern and Butterick 6694 with a few alterations
      to hopefully get the look of this outfit. Any thoughts on this and
      the petticoats idea?
      As you might have guessed I'm pretty new to sewing and even newr to
      period clothes but I'm slowly learning what works.
      Anyway thanks again for all your help and input

      Bell
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2004
        Bell ~
        Just my opinion;

        No. Petticoats will not give you the look of that skirt in the
        photos section. You will need the huge caged crinoline that has the
        flat front, belled out back, and hip stabalizer. You could pull it
        off with a large set of hoops.

        Which ever under treatment you choose, the skirt should be adjusted
        at the waist and or hem so as not to drag (if you're using a round
        set of hoops then everything is symetrical - if you use a flat front
        and/or the bell back then you need less material in front and more
        in back to keep the hem even).

        I like the Butterick pattern. Why not go with it's skirt, too? The
        waistband on it is far easier to make than the one on the Simplicity
        pattern.

        If you decide to go with petticoats and no hoop then you get into a
        different era and/or a different class. If you want the Scarlet
        O'Hara look or the Victorian look from both of these patterns,
        you'll need the cage or the hoop.

        ~ Becky
      • Bell
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 5, 2004
          Thanks for the input Becky,
          I sorta thought it wouldn't work with petticoats but wasn't 100% sure
          so thought I'd ask. I've already made the caged crinolines and will
          end up making the Butterick skirt at some point. I'm trying trying to
          learn the making of historical clothes, starting with the patterns
          with full instructions, ie Butterick and Simplicity to get some idea
          of what is needed and how they all work. Once I think I know what
          works and the basics of the patterns I'm planning on moving onto the
          more authentic patterns because from what I've read about them on
          here and other sites etc is that their instructions are sometimes
          lacking. So I think it's a good idea to have made things similar
          before attempting them.
          Anyway thanks again for your input
          Bell
        • Denise
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 21, 2004
            www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/civilWar/index.html
          • Sylvia
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 25, 2004
              Here I am again asking for advice on landing jobs. I did manage to get one
              for 5 weeks this summer, although it's for a theatre I had worked for once
              back in the '80s, so it's not as much of a job search success story as I
              would have liked to relate, but I'm very happy I got it.

              My question concerns writing cover letters. I'm now applying to positions
              I've become aware of through the internet, so I know that hundreds of others
              are also applying for them at the same time. Maybe those reading this are
              among them, in which case, I doubt you will want to pass on any tricks of
              the trade, but if you should feel so inclined, I'm wondering if you have
              suggestions for making cover letters pop out. I feel I have a strong
              resume but I seldom get positive or any responses when I send out such
              applications so I'm wondering if there is something I can say in my cover
              letters that will help get me in the door. Any ideas please?

              Sylrog
            • Michele Milunas
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 25, 2004
                I went to a job fair a few years ago, and got some good advice from a group of guys that were helping people with their resumes for free. They said to use: strong action words. like "I did this...." in the first person, "because of my work, the customer was able to (something that benefited them somehow), "I am looking forward to hearing favorably from you about X project".

                Most potential customers want to know what you've accomplished, how your work would benefit them, and enthusiastic, confident words. I should know cause I sent out enough of them for jobs before I opened my business and was out of work. I got a lot of job offers that way.

                Hope this all helps,
                Michele

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 26, 2004
                  There are some really great books that help with constructing a cover
                  letter. My favorite is "Cover Letters that Knock Then Dead." Or something
                  like that, I got it at the library, basically I took a bunch of the examples
                  and put them into one cover letter. As for success, well, I have only
                  applied for two jobs this summer, and I already got called back on the first
                  one I applied for.

                  The other suggestion is to have many different people read and tell you what
                  they think of the cover letter, especially those in the business world, not
                  just theater world.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Rachel

                  >From: Sylvia <sylvia@...>
                  >To: <TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Cover letters
                  >Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:08:07 -0600
                  >
                  >Here I am again asking for advice on landing jobs. I did manage to get one
                  >for 5 weeks this summer, although it's for a theatre I had worked for once
                  >back in the '80s, so it's not as much of a job search success story as I
                  >would have liked to relate, but I'm very happy I got it.
                  >
                  >My question concerns writing cover letters. I'm now applying to positions
                  >I've become aware of through the internet, so I know that hundreds of
                  >others
                  >are also applying for them at the same time. Maybe those reading this are
                  >among them, in which case, I doubt you will want to pass on any tricks of
                  >the trade, but if you should feel so inclined, I'm wondering if you have
                  >suggestions for making cover letters pop out. I feel I have a strong
                  >resume but I seldom get positive or any responses when I send out such
                  >applications so I'm wondering if there is something I can say in my cover
                  >letters that will help get me in the door. Any ideas please?
                  >
                  >Sylrog

                  Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar � FREE!